What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Virginia Beach - place to park the RV

N64GH

Well Known Member
Patron
Heading out to Virginia beach the middle of July. Have a place to stay at Chicks Beach not sure exactly sure where that is but I was told about 20 driving minutes north from Virginia Beach. Where is a good place to land and keep the plane for about a week? The rest if the family is flying the airline to Norfolk. Never been there, never flown to the east coast looking forward to a new adventure. Just need a place to park my baby.

Chicks beach is next to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel structure. The closest airport is KORF (Norfolk) but there are landing fees that can not be waved and steep,overnight fees.

Hampton Roads (KPVG) airport is adjacent to rout 58 / I64 /I264 and a relatively easy 30 minute drive to your destination. Same with Chesapeake Rgnl (KCPK).
Both have good runways and well attended. Personally, I would go for KPVG. There is a resturant on the field at KPVG as well as rental cars.

I suggest that you call ahead for tiedown reservations.

Just parked mine in Newport News (KPHF), Atlantic Aviation, $40 service charge, waived with 15 gallon fuel purchase, no tie-down fees. Sweet deal and nice people.

Hampton Roads (KPVG) airport is adjacent to rout 58 / I64 /I264 and a relatively easy 30 minute drive to your destination.There is a resturant on the field at KPVG as well as rental cars.

For what it's worth, we parked at Hampton Roads (KPVG) for several years before and after the renovation (Beautiful "new" terminal building) when we were going to Virginia Beach. It was very convenient and we rented a car from Enterprise, but as mentioned the FBO now has an arrangement with a new rental place.

Terrible service at Chesapeake 2X

Twice I've flown in and tied down for a few days at Chesapeake Rgnl (KCPK), the last time was this spring. Neither time was I impressed with service. Actually there was no service. I came in thistime when it was supposed to be attended but they'd closed up and gone home. I filled up at the self serve and the taxiied all over looking for a spot not marked "RESERVED". I found one and tied down. The next couple of days were terrible weather and when I went out to the airport the guy at the desk said "If we had your phone number we'd have called you and asked if you wanted us to put it in the hanger." I said where was I supposed to leave that. He said in the mailbox outside. The mailbox is unmarked, does not say "PILOTS PUT INFO HERE" or anything. I asked him if he had thought to look up my registration, but that just got a confused look out of him. Then he tries to charge me for tie down fees even though I bought gas. If you don't use full service you have to pay ramp fees. I told him there was nobody here to pump my gas when I got here. He said it doesn't matter. I later got that reversed.

They even argued with me about the ramp fees. They said all airports charge ramp fees if you use self serve. I've been coast to coast and from the Gulf to Canada and I've never run into that before.

The two times I arrived when it was attended I had a lot of bags. The line boy just sat in the terminal building watching me drag a bunch of bags across the ramp. Golf cart was sitting right there but he did not lift a finger to help me.

I had heard Hampton had bad runway surfaces but apparently that is not true. Next time I'll go there. Heck, I'll go there even if the surfaces are bad just to avoid Chesapeake.

Not sure

Well short don't bother me to much but never landed on turf. Someday but probably not this trip. Sounds like a nice place though.

Glen,
Every time I fly past I am tempted to land, but don't want to show up uninvited or unannounced. Would it be OK to drop-in some time without warning?

Keith in younger years my cousin and I we liked to drop unannounced on Glen's strip. Often we disturbed his daily routine but always were fed and ice creamed. Just go you won't regret. :D

glen8.jpg

Back