What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: North Carolina

N941WR

Legacy Member
Several of us went to 5NC3 Gilliam - Mc Connell Airfield in Carthage, NC on January 26th for lunch. Pik-n-Pig was excellent. Great food, great service and cool ambiance, set up like an old country store/post office. Recommend it highly and replaces Stantons if you really want Q. Nice runway, plenty of parking on South side of field at restaurant. They now LOVE RVS and even asked for and got a low approach high speed fly-by w/ smoke. On Sundays it helps to get there before local crowds arrive.

Although marked as private, drop-ins are welcome. The owner is president of the local EAA chapter and has some WW I replicas.

PS. Mark the Lat & Lon's down as 5NC3 is not in all the GPS databases.
Coordinates: 35-20-30.0000N/079-26-13.0000W ( 35.34167/ -79.43694)

Last edited:
For a while now, me and the boy have been talking about a flight to 5NC3 Pik-N-Pig for BBQ. Looks like we will finally do it this coming Sat. March 19. Arriving around noon.

Anyone care to join us?

It's a great place and worth a stop. Be aware that they're closed Mondays and close at 3 pm on Sundays. Saturdays with nice Wx turn into a mini fly-in there.

Bruce,

I think this Saturday is the RV flying and KCUB. Great bunch of people and good burgers.

We can't make it. Major bummer!

However, if you are going to head out this way some other weekend, let me know and we will meet up.

If you plan on flying (or driving) to 5NC3 this Saturday (3/19/11), expect a large crowd. Roland is also suggesting that you should bring folding chairs.

At 1PM on March 19th, Roland Gilliam, owner of the Gilliam-McConnell airport in Carthage, NA (5NC3) will lead a ceremony rededicating a memorial to WWI fighter pilot and Carthage native James McConnell at the airport. All area pilots are invited to attend; dignitaries have been invited. Many EAA1114 members contacted the Moore County authorities supporting Roland's effort to move the memorial to James McConnell from an obscure location in town to the airport. Don't miss this historic event to a local aviation hero of World War I.

Back