What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Barrett engine build video

goatflieg

Well Known Member
This thread could be started in many different forums here, including my own build updates, but I thought it might be best to post it under the banner of traditional aircraft engines. I recently completed a journey from MI to Tulsa, OK to witness the building and first run of my Superior IO-360 built by Allen Barrett of Barrett Precision Engines. The nine-day trip included a harrowing journey through terrible weather to Wichita; the subsequent journey to Tulsa; the assembly details of my engine over the course of 3-1/2 days (with a weekend break), and the journey home with the engine in the back of my truck. Although my coverage of the build is fairly comprehensive, this is not an instruction video on how to build an engine. It's more of a travelogue of my journey across the country and through the process of learning all I could about the building and care of my personal engine. It's about 45 minutes long (perfect chapter presentation length!); it's a compilation of real-time and time-lapse video, photos, voiceovers, sound effects and background music that was created, assembled and edited from many sources in many locations over many days. It's not without flaws, but the editing brings it all together and I'm proud enough of the result to share it here. So pick a good movie time, settle back and enjoy my journey. Here's a link:
https://youtu.be/gTHjjYu50wo

Enjoyed it, Martin!

Not sure what was happening, but, on the first part of day two at BPE, your video has some flashing at a regular interval, like one frame in 24 or so is something entirely different.

May go this route myself. Considering the XP-400 for my -14.

I really liked the video, Martin. Noticed you had your man purse with you on the trip!
Stewart Willoughby, 6
wiring done, ready for smoke test!

Enjoyed it, Martin!

Not sure what was happening, but, on the first part of day two at BPE, your video has some flashing at a regular interval, like one frame in 24 or so is something entirely different.

May go this route myself. Considering the XP-400 for my -14.

Hmmm... I'm not seeing it, on the original file or the youtube video. Don't know what to make of that... no one else has mentioned it.

Excellent!!

Excellent build documentation. I learned how to get that first safety wire twist tight, now I'll have to practice and perfect that little twist and jerk maneuver!!

Blueprinting your engine.

Did they do the porting, polishing, balancing and blueprinting before you got there? I have the exact same engine kit as you do and it's at their shop right now. The only real difference in my engine and yours is that I'm planning on a full EFII setup. Hopefully I'll be able to go there and watch the build as you did.

Hmmm... I'm not seeing it, on the original file or the youtube video. Don't know what to make of that... no one else has mentioned it.

Don?t know either, Martin. It actually seemed like a digital overlay. I kinda thought you might have been experimenting with subliminal messaging!

Martin, great video. Nearly seven years ago, my (now late) father and I made the short(er) trip up from Dallas to watch the test-cell run and bring the engine home. It was a great experience that I'll never forget. Barrett has a great operation and the engine has given me 500 hours of trouble free operation. You're going to love it.

Did they do the porting, polishing, balancing and blueprinting before you got there? I have the exact same engine kit as you do and it's at their shop right now. The only real difference in my engine and yours is that I'm planning on a full EFII setup. Hopefully I'll be able to go there and watch the build as you did.

Not certain about porting and polishing, but the balancing and blueprinting was definitely done before I got there; I remember Allen saying that along with inspecting Superior's valve seating and installation, the balancing and blueprinting were done.

Back