What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X fuel totalizer and timer/stopwatch

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
I have an RV-10 with a dual screen Garmin G3X that I took up for the second time today. While circling the airport there were two things I wish I had, and I have to believe there's a way to do it.

The first is a fuel totalizer. I have a fuel flow gage, so I always know the rate I'm burning, but I also want a calculation of the mount of fuel I've used. Preferably I want this displayed on the main Engine screen and not go several layers deep every time I want to check it.

Secondly is a resettable timer/stopwatch. Again, prominently displayed on a main screen that will allow me to easily see it and reset it whenever I need to.

Anybody know how to do this? Every time I sit in front of those screens it's a new adventure. I'm just now scratching the surface.

I don't think the G3X will do what you want. I could scroll through the G3X screens and get "fuel used" with a reset button to zero it out, but nothing displaying on the main MFD except the fuel flow. Having a nice clock/timer on the panel was important for me so I installed a GT-50 in the panel of my RV-10 when I built it and have one for my RV-9A panel.

I don't think the G3X will do what you want. I could scroll through the G3X screens and get "fuel used" with a reset button to zero it out, but nothing displaying on the main MFD except the fuel flow. Having a nice clock/timer on the panel was important for me so I installed a GT-50 in the panel of my RV-10 when I built it and have one for my RV-9A panel.

Don't have the engine instruments on my G3X but do have a "Timer Button" displayed on the upper data bar. You can also hit the timer from the little window on the bottom of the screen if you don't want the full size timer button up top.

I have an RV-10 with a dual screen Garmin G3X that I took up for the second time today. While circling the airport there were two things I wish I had, and I have to believe there's a way to do it.

The first is a fuel totalizer. I have a fuel flow gage, so I always know the rate I'm burning, but I also want a calculation of the mount of fuel I've used. Preferably I want this displayed on the main Engine screen and not go several layers deep every time I want to check it.

Secondly is a resettable timer/stopwatch. Again, prominently displayed on a main screen that will allow me to easily see it and reset it whenever I need to.

Anybody know how to do this? Every time I sit in front of those screens it's a new adventure. I'm just now scratching the surface.

Fuel computer: 46 seconds into this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWwNFLxMBZg

You can also set up an info/data bar strip item with fuel used. There is also a very cool range ring tool built into the system. Check out the manual pages 38 and 346 of rev J of the pilots guide for the data bar options. Page 132 for the range ring tool.

Page 76 discusses the built in user timer. This timer also can be shown on the info/data bar strip and it shows up in the status bar at bottom of screen.

For version J of the G3x Touch Pilot Guide

Page 343 shows the USED option that appears on the Data Bar. There are also other fuel display options, such as fuel over destination which is calculated for you from fuel flow and navigation data.

Page 345 shows the Fuel Used Info Page option.

These are two different display options. The Data Bar option will always be displayed. The Info Page option will only be displayed when you display the Info Page.

Last edited:
2aak22v.jpg

Timer on a button in top left corner. Timer also on the bottom data bar.
Pushing either brings up start/stop/reset.
Fuel used on top data bar. Apologies for the metric units!

Wow! This is excellent news. The touch is going to be a lot easier to get to all the features available compared to the older legacy screens I had in the -10.

Thank you all.

I'm never disappointed when I post to this site. Thank you, I will seek these features out today.

Back