What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airports to fly to

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I recently moved to N/E Ga. (9A0) and recently finished and now have a flying RV 10. Now we are both looking for places to fly too. Airport restaurants, cool places to visit. Anything that will give me the excuse to burn avgas.

Thanks,
Rich

The Pik N Pig restaurant in Carthage, NC is on a small airstrip, BQ1. Awesome place to fly into for lunch, and just a bit over an hour flying time by RV from you.

Triple Tree is definitely amazing as well

Chris

Triple Tree Aerodrome. SC00

Unless they are having an event, you need to get permission to land at Triple Tree.

Try KGMU. There is a great restaurant on the field but I recommend getting a ride to downtown and walking a round. There are great restaurants and a beautiful waterfall with a pedestrian suspension bridge over it.

It is a great date destination!

There are several airports just northwest of you in East Tennessee. Cleveland, Dayton, Madisonville, Athens, and Moontown, AL that rotate Saturday morning breakfasts.

I'll second the Pic-n-Pig @BQ1 it's a great place, another good one is KFFA First Flight I forget the name, but it's about 1/4 - 1/2 mi walk SE of the monument there's a wind generator on a tower in the restaurant's parking lot that you can see from the dune.

Triple Tree

Bill is correct but you can PM me and If you want to land at Triple Tree. I'll get you permission. We have a nice collection of WWII aircraft including a P-51.

Jekyll Island (09J) and Red Bug Pizza if you want a trip to the coast. You can borrow a Red Bug electric cart at the airport for a couple hours to get to their restaurant a couple miles away.

Also, St. Simon Is (KSSI) just to the north has several restaurants within walking distance.

Last edited:
Jekyll Island (09J) and Red Bug Pizza if you want a trip to the coast. You can borrow a Red Bug electric cart at the airport for a couple hours to get to their restaurant a couple miles away.

Also, St. Simon Is (KSSI) just to the north has several restaurants within walking distance.

What do you recommend at KSSI? Heading up there for first time on Friday for a day trip.

Places to fly to.

Our Favorite Airport in Georgia is Americus
KACJ, we stop from Wisconsin every time
We go through. They have a nice Courtesy Car
And have allowed us to keep it over night.
Several restaurants in town.
However our favorite stop is to run over to the
Civil War museum and also the Andersonville
POW camp. Incredible place to visit, we even found
Names from our local area in Wi. At the camp.

https://www.nps.gov/ande/planyourvisit/directions.htm

Safe travels and congratulations on the RV 10.

Shoot, I'm from Wisconsin, live in Georgia, and didn't even know about this place. I'm definitely going to visit this place come summer.

(Andersonville that is)

Andersonville

Shoot, I'm from Wisconsin, live in Georgia, and didn't even know about this place. I'm definitely going to visit this place come summer.

(Andersonville that is)

Yes, Andersonville is where the POW museum is
And also the Civil war Museum. Americus
Is the airport. Also I was told that Americus is
The crop duster capitol of Georgia, not sure if that?s
True but they have a ton of Pawnee sitting there
And when it?s crop dusting time they are really busy.
We have been there 4 times and can?t say enough about
The nice people at the airport.

Last edited:
Great info and thanks. But keep the recommendations coming. I’m looking forward to checking all these places out. And Rob, definitely will take you up on your offer!

KRHP-Western Carolina Regional (Andrews-Murphy) in NC. Good Italian restaurant in Andrews with the courtesy car.

Augusta

The Ford Trimotor will be at Daniiel Field around April 20 and giving rides. Check it at EAA 172, our chapter will be hosting.

Best,

Back