What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are we "aerobatic"?

SMRacer

Well Known Member
Patron
Just noticed this. Seems aerobatic aircraft are being singled out. Not sure how they define aerobatic.

Aerobatic Pilots and ADS-B
By Dave Hughes, FAA writer
March 15, 2018 - As of January 1, 2020, ADS-B ?out? will be required in most controlled airspace. Pilots who are practicing aerobatics, performing in an air show, or competing in an event will also be required to report their position via ADS-B out. This requirement is no different from the current requirement to use an operating transponder for these types of flight operations. The FAA maintains that the ability of controllers and other pilots to identify and track aerobatic aircraft via ADS-B will enhance safety.

ADS-B out is valuable for safety when an aerobatic aircraft is not performing dynamic maneuvers. It will transmit an aircraft?s identity and position to controllers and pilots of other aircraft equipped with ADS-B ?in,? even if their aircraft is not being tracked on radar. Equipping with both ADS-B out and in will help pilots of aerobatic aircraft travel safely to and from events.

It is important to note that ADS-B equipment does not function properly during aerobatic maneuvers, but the FAA has said it will not penalize any pilot in that situation.

The FAA is developing a new policy on the aerobatic use of ADS-B, which should become available in summer 2018. The policy will be accessible in the FAA?s Flight Standards Information Management System (Order 8900.1) and advisory circular, AC 91-45D, Waivers: Aviation Events.

The FAA policy for ADS-B is being written in the same way as for transponders. The transponder rule has no waiver under 14 CFR section 91.205. With few exceptions, pilots are required to turn on the transponder. For instance, while in formation when aircraft are not separated during the maneuvering sequence, only the lead aircraft will need ADS-B turned on. These exceptions must be authorized by the controlling FAA facility in advance.

I think this just another poorly written faa document, starting with ?adsb-out will be required in most controlled airspace?. While technically true, it is not true for the airspace where aerobatics are typically performed - below 10,000?. I think the author did not mean that aerobatic aircraft were being singled out. But they won?t be exempted, either, if flying in class B or C, on top of them, within the mode C veil, or, maybe, if over 10,000?.

I am a novice . . .

Being in Phase I, and will be doing aerobatics for the book. I have ADS-B in-out.

What exactly does this mean:

"It is important to note that ADS-B equipment does not function properly during aerobatic maneuvers, but the FAA has said it will not penalize any pilot in that situation."

What is wrong with aerobatic maneuvers in an accepted area. (Not the box.)

I don't know enough about ADSB out.. is it not possible to wire in an "OFF" switch for the out portion?

I don't know enough about ADSB out.. is it not possible to wire in an "OFF" switch for the out portion?

Ain't legal. If installed, it must be turned on.

Really, the quote in the initial post isn't a big deal. They are just saying they recognize that ADSB won't work effectively during aerobatics and they won't penalize anyone for erratic readings during that phase of flight.

During loops and spins, I get momentary audio warnings that say "ADSB not available" usually while upside down or prolonged nose down. Not a big deal, as soon as I am wings level, the ADSB comes back on line. ADSB out requires GPS position, so when the GPS antenna is not in full view of the sky, you get momentary loss of ADSB.

Letter from the FAA

Just be prepared for the scary certified letter from the FAA saying your aircraft is non-compliant and asking you to respond. My partner and I were able to easily correlate the flights in question to flights during which we'd conducted extensive aerobatics. We replied with that information to the Houston FSDO and haven't heard anything more.

The EAA / IAC has some good information on this subject:

https://www.iac.org/news/2016-12-17-ads-b-update

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?8065-ADS-B-Performance-Report-Letter

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?8122-ADS-B-and-aerobatic-aircraft

Last edited:
I just received three of the previously identified ?Scary Certified Letters? from the FAA. The letters all indicate the following:

?This correspondence letter is to notify you that the FAA has monitored flights by aircraft in which the installed ADS-B system failed to comply with equipment performance requirements specified in 14 CFR 91.227.?

The identified failures are:

Missing Elements

Baro Alt: % Fail = 99.86%, Max dT = 00:56:19, MCF = 2190

Integrity & Accuracy

NIC: % Fail = 99.86%, Max dT = 00:56:19, MCF = 2190

The three failures are identical but allegedly occurred on three separate flights on three separate days over two consecutive years. Apparently the FAA is way behind on getting these letters distributed.

The Transponder is a Garmin GTX 345 using a Garmin GNS 430 W with updated software as the GPS position source. I will send this data to Garmin as requested for further review and consideration.

After initial installation, the system was checked and found to be operating correctly. I fly 1 to 4 times per week and according to the FAA there are only the three identified instances of failure.

The friendly and helpful FFA representative asked me if my aircraft was aerobatic indicating that aerobatics sometimes do play havoc on the ADSB reporting. He/she related, upon my request, they could change my aircraft to ?Aerobatic? which should limit receiving letters for this issue in the future.

Before I go down that road, asking to be identified by the FAA as ?Aerobatic?, I will check my logs to be certain about the nature of my flights on the specific days in which the alleged failures occurred.

I surmise I was most likely engaged in formation flights on one or more of those three days. I asked both Garmin and the FAA if placing the transponder in Standby mode (choking the parrot) could cause a reporting failure as previously identified. Neither Garmin nor the FAA could say for certain.

Back