Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-19-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed View Post
I definitely went back and forth but opted for a couple of reasons.
  • Better design for sure, should provide a little better safety margin
  • Resale- not sure I'll ever sell but if I do, I a pretty sure it will help
  • now is the time if I am going to do it. it adds some time/money but I wouldn't do it post cowl/paint/etc.
Ya, resale was the biggest factor for me. You better believe people buying an A model in the future are going to be wanting this. Plus, now our planes are almost exactly a small version of the -14A. haha
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 07-19-2019, 07:23 PM

I spoke to Vans today. It looks like a couple of weeks for me. I still haven't drilled my firewall yet so that makes things simpler.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
Shop Setup - In Progress (Gathering Tools, Never Complete)
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 07-19-2019, 07:46 PM

Default Got the call

I got the call today. Going with the update. This is the only time i am glad i am going slow

In other news, i will be in camp scholler with beer. From what i hear, i might need some help getting it thru the gate sunday night ( to hbc) Who can i call?.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2020, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 50%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 07-19-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:33 PM

Im in the middle of an engine change. So, a great time to change engine mount. Does Vans want the $3000 up front? Or do they bill before shipping?

Tim
KCHD AZ
__|__
*>O-(_)-O<*
Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 PM

Tim- They will bill you when it's ready to ship (I asked too). If you aren't on the list I'd say get on soon.
dan
Working on finish kit/cowl
2018 and 2019 VAF dues paid
Old 08-09-2019, 10:40 PM

While at the hangar today I started thinking about converting to a Tail wheel vs the new mount.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

I learned to fly in Champs and Cubs, and while super rusty I wonder if this may be an alternative.

Sorry, just thinking out loud but would love to hear what others think of this.

Thanks- dan
Working on finish kit/cowl
2018 and 2019 VAF dues paid
Old 08-10-2019, 06:24 AM

Default Upgrade vs. Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Ya, resale was the biggest factor for me. You better believe people buying an A model in the future are going to be wanting this. Plus, now our planes are almost exactly a small version of the -14A. haha
I totally agree. I do not plan to ever sell this bird but if I had to buy one I would look for one with this mod. It is the most significant factory update in years. I was sort of lucky I had just put in my order when they came out with it so I was able to add it to the kit before the kit shipps. They told me 2 weeks and it has been 6 but thats ok. I am in no rush.

I do not know if this is an upgrade since there is really no data of any flying RV7As with it but with enough skill you can break any gear leg and in an forced off field landing I don't think it will make much of a difference. One thing I don't understand why it has to be so much of a price bump. I know most people building these planes these days will easily crack the 100k but I was shooting for a 50K plane (I know... naive) I was going for light and simple.
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Old 08-10-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
I totally agree. I do not plan to ever sell this bird but if I had to buy one I would look for one with this mod. It is the most significant factory update in years. I was sort of lucky I had just put in my order when they came out with it so I was able to add it to the kit before the kit shipps. They told me 2 weeks and it has been 6 but thats ok. I am in no rush.

I do not know if this is an upgrade since there is really no data of any flying RV7As with it but with enough skill you can break any gear leg and in an forced off field landing I don't think it will make much of a difference. One thing I don't understand why it has to be so much of a price bump. I know most people building these planes these days will easily crack the 100k but I was shooting for a 50K plane (I know... naive) I was going for light and simple.
Ya the price bump is why I said no to the upgrade for about 4 days. Couldn't see the price increase reflected in the upgrade but oh well, I wanted it in the end so I paid it. I am one of the lucky ones that gets to send back my old mount and leg so that saved me a bit too.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 08-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Dont know how, but our A&P Dennis is doing a 7A and has the new mount INSTALLED already. Nice package----and a new toy for us to play with.

Tom

No ----its not mine.
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 08-14-2019, 08:41 PM

Exclamation How Much?????

I'm having trouble with the math $3,000.00 to up grade and I'll be on my own to sell the orphaned mount + Leg. If that's not bad enough Vans has set the resale price to $720 as this is the difference in price on the web site between the two mounts. Vans list for the old mount&leg are $1467.50,that's a $745.50 chop that Vans has built into the deal. The law of supply/demand will automatically put these mounts at the bottom of the pile as a number of them will be for sale.
On the flip side of the coin $1467.50+$720 =2187.50, that's $812.50 under the price quoited to me. When the 7 wouldn't recover fast enough Van sent a new rudder kit,FREE. When cracks developed,I ordered punched stiffeners for a reasonable cost.I'm all about safety,and yes,I want Vans to be in business for years to come. I'm left feeling kicked in the teeth for $745.00 and gouged to the tune of $812.50 for the improved parts.Some how landing up right is just as important as recovering from a spin. Given the small number of upgrades,Vans can and should do more to help with the cost of this upgrade.IMHO
RHill

Last edited by rhill : 08-15-2019 at 09:14 AM.