What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WOT

Cadstat

Well Known Member
I've seen the reference 'WOT' but can't find it in a jargon dictionary. What is 'WOT"?

Wide open throttle

WOT = wide open throttle, used especially at altitude when running LOP (lean of peak).

Thanks

Thanks Jerry. You're right it was in a LOP discussion. I though I knew them all. lol

WOT=big fun, small wallet:D

See, and I thought it was just the "normal" position, from takeoff to just before you enter the pattern. :D You mean you can actually pull that knob back...and not be landing?! (yeah, I'm kiddin'...well sort of) :p Then again, my wallet is pretty thin too! ;)

I thought I'd missed some critical part of my flight training. :)

Nope, but is there an acronym sticky anywhere in VAF? (near the cheat sheet for bad spellers perhaps?) :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Bob

Wide open wallet

We are a funny bunch. We'll spent 60K+ for an A/C but $4.40 a gallon kinda bites us in the butt. Bargain hunting never goes out of style.

You should probably use the term WOW = Wide open Wallet.:D

Kent

Depends on the engine.

I do not have a CS prop at this time so I don't know if this works with a Lycoming, but with the Subby it was WOT all the time and power wa managed with rpm - 1700 resulted in a very efficient 5-6 gph burn and best mpg.

It took a while to get used to high manifold pressure and low rpm but the engine did not mind at all. The ECU magic made all that possible. It probably won't work with a Lycoming.

If the mission requirement is to get from A to B, then my Lycoming is WOT from takeoff untill just before landing; However, if the mission requirement is to "be in the air", then I will throttle the engine.

Back