What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal out of date

pappa

Ready to do my second tank and my sealer is one month out of date...3/19
In my mine it can't be bad, but what say you? Should I get a fresh can? Would you use it? Thank you for your time and excellent opinion.

I agree with control. I've this question before, and one individual from Vans said "if you can get it out of the can, use it". But, I have 2 "old" cans (several years) and just started on my tanks, I bought some new stuff.......cheap insurance.

I think, in your case, one month out......I'd probably use it.

I would not worry about something that is a month out of date. It gets harder to work with over time. I would not hesitate using it on my tanks.

Use it

My day job is keeping the KC10 fuel tankers flying...we use Proseal by the truckloads. A month is nothing, and I have used "expired" sealant that is 2 years past date with no issues.

My day job is keeping the KC10 fuel tankers flying...we use Proseal by the truckloads. A month is nothing, and I have used "expired" sealant that is 2 years past date with no issues.

Same experience for me using 2 year expired proseal with no issues.

I used ?in - date? ProSeal for my tanks. They don?t leak. When I filled them the first time and saw no blue streaks, that was a BIG RV grin.

Hi,
Spoke to Proseal manufacturers regarding use by dates and using out of date material. (These answers were "off the record ")
They said that the the six month use by date was to ensure product was guaranteed to be as stated in specifications.
Provided product was kept stored within temperatures (preferably at the cool end) and a test sample went off at the approx stated time interval following mixing the product would be fine to use however old it was.
I have heard that all the elapsed unopened products from wholesalers are returned to the factory where the products are tested, and if within spec are repackaged with a new use by date.
I agree that I would not use 2 year out of date material for my tanks just to give me that confortable feeling but I have used for other applications.
I have used 12 year old PR 1442 A1 to fix my wing conduit in the wings and that went off in the correct timescale and has hardened perfectly well.
I certainly wouldn't throw it out for all the other jobs just because of a date on a can.

I know of someone (we won't say who) that has 10 *year* old Desoto brand sealant (kept in his freezer since around the expiration date) that has been used recently to successfully repair leaks in 25+ year old tanks.

Not telling you to do as he did; just a data point.

I know of someone (we won't say who) that has 10 *year* old Desoto brand sealant (kept in his freezer since around the expiration date) that has been used recently to successfully repair leaks in 25+ year old tanks.

Not telling you to do as he did; just a data point.

Hmm, I know that guy too! (except the brand in this other 'un-named' freezer is Flamemaster)

I have 3 cans of pro-seal that I acquired recently with a BD-5 project.
I will part with it for a reasonable amount. It's dated 11/72, but it's been sealed so Im sure it's still good.
Let me know if interested.

PROSEAL LIFE

As an experiment I made a test article of 10 year old Proseal, new Proseal, old proseal with old hardener and new Proseal with old hardener.

The old Proseal had never been refrigerated.

The hardener made no difference at all. The old Proseal took about twice as long as the new to set up.

I kept the test article around for a year or two. Besides the color of the different mixtures there was no difference in texture or adhesion.

I would still use new Proseal on a tank... just because.

Back