What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B and FlightAware

BH1166

Well Known Member
Today I flew for an hour and got good PAPR/report. A friend flew as well off my wingtip for the hour. He has a flight logged in FlightAware, I do not. Anyone know why? I think the data at FlightAware on the flight is interesting and want to see my own. I am using uAvionix EchoUAT, friend uses current Dynon touch screen equipment.

Not positive, but I think flight aware looks at ATC radar data. Since the Dynon adsb system is a mode S transponder, it shows up. If you want to see yourself, call up and ask for flight following with a squawk code.

I have several friends with the UATEcho equipment and they never show up in Flightaware or Flight Radar 24. My Trig shows up 100% of the time whether IFR or VFR. Don?t know the reason.

2016 on, "We have recently released a feature to allow you to view position-only flights (flights without a flight plan) such as a VFR flight with flight following or ADS-B positions; follow these steps:

(You will need to be on the web version of FlightAware. These instructions will not work on the app or mobile site)

Ensure you are either logged into your account or join FlightAware at the following link (flightaware.com/account/join/). You will need to activate your account via email after joining.
Go to your account at the following link (flightaware.com/account/manage 6) or click on your name or username in the top left hand corner of the site.
Look for a section titled “Position-Only Flights” and click the button for “show position-only flights”
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Save”
It could take up to 15 minutes for your account to be updated after you save; After this time, simply search for a tail number or flight from the search bar located at the top-center of the page."

https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/vfr-tracking/18098/12"

Might be on the app by bow to see "position only" flights.

Last edited:
Position Only and 1090ES

Flightaware apparently has very few dual frequency (1090ES and UAT) receivers deployed - virtually all are 1090ES only. Went through this about a year ago. On a breakfast flight only the 1090ES equipped planes showed tracks up on Flightaware.

The comment about the position only flights is correct. If you don't select this, only flight plans or flight following will show up.

Moosepileit, I logged into my FlightAware account and found the position flights switch where you said ! I will see what happens now. Thanks

I have seen my VFR position flights show up on FlightAware on a regular basis now for a while. Im thinking they only go to me and not public, but dont know for sure. They do send me an email every time my UAT ADSB uAvionics Echo leaves the ground. the flight path may or may not be complete RT but at least has a majority portion of the trac, That and along with a picture of my RV9 that I never provided. Don't ever forget the S in ADSB stands for surveillance.

I can't comment on FlightAware, I use FlightRadar24 which is similar. I have found that every one of my flights are tracked for the entire length of time that my mode S transponder is in Alt. Doesn't matter if I have a discrete code or if I'm squawking VFR, nor if I'm in Canada or the US. I don't have ADS-B out.

I just bought a Stratux and flew with it on my recent trip to the US. Naturally I saw lots of traffic, but the amount of traffic that I pick up in Canada suggests that it picks up mode s traffic as well.

I inquired as to why my UAT ADSB was not showing up on FlightRadar24 and the answer back was they do not process the UAT data as of yet (only ES for now ) . Thats been about 6 / 8 months ago

Most of Flightaware sites are only setup to receive the 1090ES and not the 978 UAT. The 978 requires a second SDR radio and an antenna tuned to 978. I have a uAvionix EchoUAT and I only show up on Flightaware if I am received by another aircraft that has a 1090es and then rebroadcast by them and received by a Flightaware site.
Phil

Moosepileit has it right

I am registered with Flight aware, have turned on the position filter and receive my own flights as well as others that I have on my "tracking list" - (first five on the tracking list are free) -- I receive both UAT and 1090 outputs.

FYI - I use uAvionix for my out and in -- AFS screen/iFly 740 and iPad.

I do a PAPR about every three months, just to make sure everything is working right.

FlightAware

After my verification flight for the newly installed UAT out GDL-82, I went online to FlightAware and typed in my N number. There was my complete flight. I only communicated with my home airport tower during this flight (no flight following).

Back