What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip light connectors

DavidHarris

Well Known Member
Looking for advice about connectors for the wingtip lights.

I have the AeroSun landing light and AeroLED Pulsar nav/strobe lights in my wingtips. I've pulled the wires through conduit in the wings. I'm thinking I'll be prudent to put a connector between the lights and main wire in case I need to take off the wingtips in the future.

I'm not yet too familiar with aviation-grade connectors. I looked at AC 43.13 and it shows lots of connectors but has no advice on pros and cons. Vans mentions D-sub connectors, but I'm not sure if they are locking, and suspect locking connectors are beneficial in a high-vibration environment.

Any tips?

David

IMHO Molex connectors work well for these kinds of connections. Degi-Key is an excellent source (great selection, good pricing, rapid shipment, sells small quantities.)

I have used the Mini and Micro Molex connectors in a number of areas. I have been very happy so far. Both those connectors are positive-latching. You could also use the waterproof automotive connectors, but I think that is overkill outside of the engine compartment.

AMP CPC connectors are a really good choice. At a more economical price point, D-Sub connectors with gold machined pins are also a good choice. I use no backshell on connectors where I can secure the bundle easily, then I use either small zip ties or lacing cord to hold the male and female connector halves together. If I'm concerned about weather sealing, I wrap the entire mated connector assembly with self-fusing silicone tape ("rescue tape" available from ACS).

Do a search and you'll find a lot of opinions. I personally used CPC connectors for the wings but have a few micro molex sprinkled in there. I'm using those predominately around the aircraft.

Back