What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powder Coating

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Anyone powder coated the main gear legs ?

I am going to get the steps powder coated and wondered about doing the gear legs at the same time. I would speed tape the areas where things get bolted on obviously.

I remember another post on this subject awhile back ..... the gear legs may not fair well from the heat from the powder coat process???? I could be way off on that but I think the heat is around 400 deg F for a period of time to cure.

If you are having the entire plane painted then the shop should paint the gear legs too ...

I had the steel main gear legs powder coated on my Cessna 180, after checking with the factory. In the 600+ hours since then, the paint's chipped in a number of places due to small stuff thrown up by the prop.

I wouldn't powder coat them again.

Dave

Powder Coat

I powder coated mine, still building. A little pricey, $120 for two steps and a flap handle. Make sure you coat before applying the sealant on the step openings since the heat process would make a mess.

For what's worth

I had a bunch of stuff powder coated on my 12, the steps were included, but the gear legs were not!
Now my concern is if the step needed to be repaired I would have to remove much of the powder coat and this would not be easy. Potentially the steps can take a bit of a beating from the environment and just being a step. The powder coat has held up well and so far no cracking or breaking from usage.

So my 2 cents....no to the gear legs and maybe on the steps.

Was advised by Vans after asking the question not to powder coat due to the possible adverse efffect of the temperatures involved on the metal properties

Interesting.

Thanks for the replies.

Some years ago, I was rebuilding a Christen Eagle and had all the alumin(i)um parts powder coated and I must say, they were excellent.

The parts were mainly panel parts, all .032 etc.

I will ask the powder guys what temperature they cure at and will be guided by them. Thanks for the quick answers.

Most surprised that the steps aren't powder coated, although I guess some folks will wish to colour coordinate them.

Back