What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My RV-6 story

sjhurlbut

Well Known Member
As we all know, it is a special time for RV6 (and other RV) owners and fliers with the 30th Anniversary on the horizon - Oshkosh 2016.

My interest in the RV6 began in 1999 while reading an issue of Kitplanes magazine. At the time, I was posted for work in Comox, BC. In the Kitplanes magazine I came upon a Van?s Aircraft advertisement for "homebuilt" airplanes. I was stunned to see how with one's own hands a plane could be crafted and enjoyed. This set in progress a series of events which lead me to become a proud owner of a homebuilt RV6.

As I'm sure many other homebuilt owners can appreciate, it is the journey of the build which infuses pride in the outcome and for me it started in 1999. I had saved enough money to purchase the RV6 tail kit but clearly had not thought up a plan on where to start the construction. In typical plane-builder obsessed fashion I set out to put this kit together in my dorm room. Progress was being made and with only a few complaints of fellow occupants regarding the skin dimpling process and paint fumes. I was as happy as a pig in you- know-what. Then Van?s introduced the RV7 and the ease of that build enticed me to purchase it. I needed to sell the RV6 in order to proceed with the RV7A. This RV7A kit made a trip in a moving truck in boxes labelled "hobby equipment" a full 4800 kilometres to meet me at my new posting in Kingston, Ontario. I set a goal to complete the RV7A before December 17th, 2003 so that I could honour the 100th year Anniversary of the Wright Brothers. I met my goal and completed a twenty minute flight in C-FZQX with a giant RV grin. I was hooked. I was hooked on building RVs. I bought myself another kit - 71629 and sold the first RV7A. Desperate to be airborne again I completed the kit in 2 years. To honour my dear sister Tammy who passed away at age 31 from complications following a heart and dual lung transplant in her battle against Cystic Fibrosis, this one was given the registration C-FSIS.

C-FSIS was an amazing airplane with full IFR and a Red-Gold Mattituck TMX IO-360 engine, but, the goal of owning a tail dragger RV6 still remained. C-FSIS was sold to a pilot Europe. The ferry pilot arrived in Nova Scotia and I had outfitted the airplane with over 100 gallons of fuel. C-FSIS flew non-stop from Iceland to Denmark before making its way to its new home in France. It is quite a thrill to know my build made such a journey but I still do regret giving up the registration.

About 2 weeks before this, I had purchased a RV7A converted tail dragger (registration C-GOJU) from a friend in Hamilton, Ontario. I had two RVs to my name...a real treat. I held on to C-GOJU for a few years before selling it to Mr. Robert Gandt, an amazing aviation author. I flew home commercial air after enjoying a few days in Florida and being able to watch the last launch of the Space Shuttle Endeavour.

Again, the urge to build overcame me. However, as chance would have it, I received a call from a seller enquiring if I would be interested in buying a completed RV7 in Phoenix. We struck a deal over the phone and went to pick it up. It flew well and being bare aluminum I was able to enjoy it without fear of chipping paint. It was a nice plane but didn't fill my need as a builder and so I decided to put a for sale sign on it at Oshkosh 2013. It was picked up by a new owner to fly on in warmer climates in California.

Then I noticed an ad one day for a RV6 kit for sale and it was only 12 hours from my house!! I flew there just before C-GMIY was sold and bought the kit. Drove the 26ft UHaul truck 12 hours through the mountains and started 60119 with one goal in mind ? to show at Oshkosh. Every detail drove my hangar friends nuts ? clickbond fasteners, powdercoated everything, matching this, redueing canopy because fit was off ??, etc. The paint scheme was developed by myself at the very start of the project ? after all isn?t the first thing we all do is paint and panel design?

Three times during the build I deployed overseas. Project on hold for a crazy world.

RV6 C-FHBZ has an IO-375 engine with Whirlwind prop and first flew Aug 2015. The 175 knot cruise speed really surprised me burning 9.0 gph. With the Sam James plenum and power of the engine I?m more than pleased with the outcome. Then came the paint. Met a young enthusiastic painter and hired the company he worked for. Nine weeks of labour and a few issues later, C-FHBZ came out of the paint booth. Couldn?t be more pleased with the outcome of this RV.

So my story goes full circle and that first RV6 article from Kitplanes in 1999 has come to fruition. The influences in my journey are Hal Schultz (first RV ride in Comox), Matt Dralle (Matronics), Mahlon Russell (former Mattituck engine), Doug Reeves (VansAirforce.net), Bart Lalonde (everybodys engine guy), and Sam Buchanan (RV6 website) to name a few. A supportive partner makes the build a better journey. We now have two children ages 4 and 3 months. I have placed each of their names on the canopy so as to remind me of our many adventures to come.

See you at Oshkosh for judging ? life to do list ? check.

29zd1j4.jpg

w8np61.jpg

117fyph.jpg

wivcs8.jpg

Wow! That airplane is a keeper!

BTW the 430 you sold me in early 2009 is still going strong. :)

You builders have my respect

I bought a finished RV6A that had 8 hours on it. I have spent the last 8 months working out the little bugs that show up. I consider myself a little anal about things. I have been through my airplane from top to bottom, spinner to tail. There's not a part I havent touched- and I didn't even build it. What a massive job you builders do. You have my respect. And beautiful job on your plane.

Maybe it's the fact I work 60 hrs a week, I don't know. Someday I'll retire and maybe I will get the bug. I surely have the abilities but not the time.

My wife and I are taking a week off and we will see you in HBC with our 6A (my mistress).

If you could decrease the size of picture #3, it would be much more enjoyable to read your story.......

..... Very nice work.

Last edited:
Nice 6

Steve, great job and nice write-up. I'll stop by on the weekend to see it up close if you're around . It looks like you're happy with the paint shop decision (judging by the beautiful results) so I will probably have to make a visit there soon. Congrats on finishing the RV-6 and good luck on finding a 10 project.

Colin

Hi Steve your Rv6 looks beautiful..!! I'm a Rv6a owner with a Sam James cowling as well. In your pic I notice the connection between the intake rings and the plenum where the neoprene is usually used you have what appears to be a large silicone hose? Am I correct? I have the neoprene sleeves but have been looking for a more elegant solution.

Thanks
Bill

You are correct. Silicone. It's black now.
Attached to alum rings with worm clamps.
Free floats on plenum to allow movement.

Hi Steve your Rv6 looks beautiful..!! I'm a Rv6a owner with a Sam James cowling as well. In your pic I notice the connection between the intake rings and the plenum where the neoprene is usually used you have what appears to be a large silicone hose? Am I correct? I have the neoprene sleeves but have been looking for a more elegant solution.

Thanks
Bill

Back