What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12 inch N numbers

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
I have 3 inch N numbers on my RV but considering going to the Bahamas, can I get away with tape for 12 inch numbers and how accurately do they have to be made as to the legal style?
Jack

Give me a days notice, stop by F45 in north palm beach and we will install 12" vinyl numbers as you pass by to the Bahamas.

As Mr Ford once said, you can have any color you want as long as its Black.

24hr notice means you would get Black(always in stock). 4days and we can order specific colors.

Regards,

Scott

Just got the new Kitplanes mag and it has an article about a little airplane named Sexy Hexy and it's trip to Alaska.

The article shows the trip up through Canada and I specifically looked to see if the N numbers were 12".

It looks like it only had small N numbers. I thought 12" numbers were required in Canada.

Looks like I'm wrong. Not the first time ever.

Just returned last Sunday from Bahamas. I have about 8" numbers because I thought it fit the rudder well and I wanted close to 12" for the Bahamas.
The other planes used 2" wide tape. When we returned to Sanford the customs agent asked if the other plane had just been painted. She did not understand the taped numbers. Sanford is not a port of entry so they don't get many exp. flying directly in.
I am told most POE do look at the numbers on return. I believe 2" wide tape works. The Bahamas could care less.
I have heard stories about 3/4" electrical tape not working so well.
Imagine the intent of this requirement. It is for the F-16 to be able to get your number if they need to intercept at the ADIZ.

The best is to use 2" painters tape for temporary numbers. You can get them in different colors, stay on quite well during a long trip, don't damage your paint job, are cheap and are easy to remove once you get back. We just did a 2 week trip through the Caribbean (Dec 2013) and one of the airplanes used 2" painters tape. Here is a photo of the airplane while on the Mayaguez, Puerto Rico (TJMZ) ramp towards the end of the trip.

DSC_0036_zps2179e36d.jpg

Most of all, HAVE FUN!

:cool:

Last edited:
+1 on 2" painters tape.

Done it twice with 2" blue painters tape. Put it on before we left and took it off once back at home. Not any sign of peeling up and no problem to remove.

YMMV

Just got the new Kitplanes mag and it has an article about a little airplane named Sexy Hexy and it's trip to Alaska.

The article shows the trip up through Canada and I specifically looked to see if the N numbers were 12".

It looks like it only had small N numbers. I thought 12" numbers were required in Canada.

Looks like I'm wrong. Not the first time ever.

I used to think the same thing. 12-inch numbers are required to cross an ADIZ. There's no ADIZ between the US and Canada, but there is between US and the Bahamas.

Placement

Regarding the 12" numbers: Do they have to be on each side of the (small) fuselage. What about putting them on the wings? The 'Old-Timers' (I'm thinking the Spirit of ST Louis in my head) had them on the wings, seems like on the top of one side and the bottom of the other side??? Is that right? Anyone know where to look up the actual regulation that specifies the need for them? Always best to find the answer right close to the source/requirement.

Interesting that the second publication by the FAA clearly says that the numbers may be permanent or temporary and even says that adhesive tape may be used. On our recent return from the Bahamas upon landing at Ft Pierce, FL, the customs agent approached my airplane with its 12" painters tape numbers and told me (nicely) that he was going to let me by this time, but the numbers were supposed to be permanently affixed. I wouldn't want to get into an argument with someone over such a trivial detail, but one should be aware of this. Next time I'll use the vinyl stick-on numbers from Sportys as recommended above. The painters tape didn't stick very well anyway.

Interesting that the second publication by the FAA clearly says that the numbers may be permanent or temporary and even says that adhesive tape may be used. On our recent return from the Bahamas upon landing at Ft Pierce, FL, the customs agent approached my airplane with its 12" painters tape numbers and told me (nicely) that he was going to let me by this time, but the numbers were supposed to be permanently affixed. I wouldn't want to get into an argument with someone over such a trivial detail, but one should be aware of this. Next time I'll use the vinyl stick-on numbers from Sportys as recommended above. The painters tape didn't stick very well anyway.

Not every employee of every job knows all the rules so that one particular employee got it wrong doesn't surprise me at all.

You can carry a copy of the FAA document that provides acceptable means to comply with the requirements for marking aircraft with nationality and registration marks. The acceptable means you used in this particular situation are specifically covered by part 7(d)(2c). Sporty's vinyl stick-on numbers are not permanent either, just more expensive.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back