What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Intercom No Mic

mikemalone

I've already posted this on the Dynon Avionics Site. Someone here, may know what I've done or failed to do to .

I am in the process of installing and wiring the Intercom-2S. Headphones appear to be working OK (I can hear the Dynon welcome message), but I can't hear myself in the intercom when I talk through my Bose-A20 headsets, both on the pilot side and the co-pilot side. I have two headsets, same on both. What could be the problem? I'm aware that there could be a multitude of possibilities.

Things I am aware of, and have checked are as follows:

Wired MIC to smaller diameter Jack.
Checked all the wire runs go to correct -2S pins.
HP jack ground wires connect to each other then to -2S, Pin-1.
MIC grounds go to -2S Pin-2.
Shields connected together, daisy chain, and then to -2S, Pin-1.
I am aware of the 'Tip, Ring Barrel, architecture concept.

My wires are connected as follows:

Pilot HP: Tip to Pin-9, Ring to Pin-22, Barrel to Pin-1
Co-pilot HP: Tip to Pin-8, Ring to Pin-21, Barrel to Pin-1

Pilot MIC: Tip to Pin-23, Ring to Pin-10, Barrel to Pin-2
Co-pilot MIC: Tip to Pin-3, Ring to Pin-16, Barrel to Pin-2

I haven't connected up the PTT wiring yet. I also need to check the continuity of each wire again. Am I missing something obvious?

Assuming the wiring is correct, make sure the intercom squelch is somewhere around the 8-9 o-clock region. Too high (>10-11 o-clock) and it may not activate the mics. You want it high enough to keep the mics from activating with engine noise but not so high your voice doesn't trigger it.

Hey Mike
I don't know if this is your problem but let me tell you what I went through. I also have the dynon intercom. When I bought the intercom through airspruce I had them make the wiring harness up. Well when they made the harness up they wired the mic wires to the headset jack and the headset wires to the mic jack. Thankfully, my hanger mate is a smart engineer and he figured it out. I would look very closely at the harness. Hope that helps you. Joe

I think I managed to identify the problem. I think it all came down to me having set the squelch level too high. But I also took apart the purchased intercom harness and I wasn't too happy with what I found inside. All the 9 cable sheaths were terminated in an ugly untidy bunch, clamped together inside some kind of connector. However, they didn't appear to be attached to the Intercom-2S, Pin-1 ground. After I took the harness apart, I finished off the sheaths in the manner recommended by Stein at Steinair, using solder splices with the ground wire and daisy-chained them all together. Much neater. Thanks for your useful suggestions.

Back