What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Non builder question

daddyman

Well Known Member
On the underside of my right wing (as I sit in the cockpit- yes, facing forward), there is an access panel about 6" x 8" outboard of the fuel cell area.

Was it part of the original plan (mine was built in 1996)?
What was it for?

Daddyman
N262 DF

The Dream Flier

Dues paid

there is an access panel about 6" x 8" outboard of the fuel cell area.

What was it for?

Aileron bell crank. You need to open it during your conditional inspection.

Hopefully there's one just like it on the "port" (left) wing!

Last edited:
What was it for?
What IS it for?

To serve as a plate to remove that allows access to the interior of the wing for the purpose of inspecting all that lies inside that plate. Thus its name: "Inspection plate". Take it off at least "annually" and inspect the bell crank for the ailerons, auto pilot roll servo, wiring, etc. inside the wing.

Ah, the details...

On the underside of my right wing (as I sit in the cockpit- yes, facing forward), there is an access panel about 6" x 8" outboard of the fuel cell area.

What was it for?

Daddyman
N262 DF

The Dream Flier

Dues paid

DM,

Hopefully you looked inside there before you bought it...:)

V/R
Smokey

PS: Here's a tip from a Jurassic RV4 builder, do yourself a favor: order a copy of the RV4 builders manual (if you don't already have one) and read it. Also, help your A&P do the conditional inspection, you'll learn alot.

A valid question for a non-builder, and as Brad said, there are no stupid questions. Do make it a point to learn EVERYTHING about your plane though.

Back