What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adel Clamps for plug wires?

N941WR

Legacy Member
I've been told not to use WDG Adel clamps on the cylinder heads to hold the plug wires in place as the heat will break down the rubber fairly quickly.

Apparently there are some heat resistant clamps out there but I cannot locate any reference to them.

Could someone please tell me the part number for the proper clamps and where to get them?

Thanks!

Here....

These guys have them...

http://www.airsuppliers.com/Aircraft_Parts_Catalog/CHAMPION-IGNITION-SERVICE-PART-FOR_AIRCRAFT.htm

Also here...

http://www.sacskyranch.com/acatalog/Sacramento_Sky_Ranch_Champion_Harness_Hardware_44.html

The clamps are different and come in 1, 2 and 3 wire versions. The 2 wire one is usually used on the lower #3 and #4 cylinders.

The ones with my Skytronics ignition wire set came with a harder white rubber(?) insert, not at all like the WDG clamps...

gil in Tucson

FYI- Airsuppliers has a $50 minimum... All I needed from them was $12 worth of clamps and shipping was $19 !!!

-Jeff

...And when I tried to order these clamps from Airsuppliers a few weeks ago, they didn't have them in stock.

Aircraft Spruce has them

OK guys... tried cross-referencing from the Champion part number and found the Slick part number - M2755.

If you do a search in the Aircraft Spruce web site they pop up at $2.20 each... :)

You get this big web page, but just keep scrolling down... :)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/unisonslick.php

Other search terms didn't work before.... :rolleyes:

Hope this helps.... gil in Tucson

Ahh hah!

I just sorted out what I thought was a problem with my PMAG. It turned out to be a faulty ignition wire held in by.....WDG ADEL clamps! I had been wondering if the clamps may have been the cause as the wires were not that old. The clamps snug up fairly tight on the wires, but not crushing them of course. I think I'll be changing this around.
Anyone else had this happen?
Tim

I just sorted out what I thought was a problem with my PMAG. It turned out to be a faulty ignition wire held in by.....WDG ADEL clamps! I had been wondering if the clamps may have been the cause as the wires were not that old. The clamps snug up fairly tight on the wires, but not crushing them of course. I think I'll be changing this around.
Anyone else had this happen?
Tim

What were the symptoms you encountered?

:cool:

Misfire

What were the symptoms you encountered?

:cool:

I had a occasional misfire at high power settings, only at altitude, #3 EGT would drop off when the slick was killed. Happened enroute to Chino, ACS in a Corona had a new set of PMAG wires, that fixed it. I had installed new plugs earlier on the trip, that didn't help. I had also checked the wires with an ohm meter and they passed, so I suspect the insulation had failed somewhere, maybe inside a clamp.
Tim

Last edited:
Best clamps for PMAG wires

A timely thread for me as I began tidying up my plug wires. I found the aviation style plug wire clamps did not fit around the presumably larger diameter automotive plug wires that come with the PMAGs. So I ended up using WDG Adel clamps. Do they make the aviation style plug clamps in different sizes? What have others found to be the best clamp style for the larger diameter silicon automotive style plug leads?
Cheers
Nigel

A timely thread for me as I began tidying up my plug wires. I found the aviation style plug wire clamps did not fit around the presumably larger diameter automotive plug wires that come with the PMAGs. So I ended up using WDG Adel clamps. Do they make the aviation style plug clamps in different sizes? What have others found to be the best clamp style for the larger diameter silicon automotive style plug leads?
Cheers
Nigel

This may help -

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/adel.html

Sounds like you need a blue MS21919WCJxx part good to 450F.

The standard Adel clamps with the blue marker are only good to 212 F, not too good to attach to a cylinder head.

Clamps

Well today I just reassembled my adel clamps with a -3 washer between the legs of the clamps. Who knows if this was the cause, but before the wire was firmly gripped in the clamp, perhaps damaging it. Now the wire is a nice fit with just a bit of clearance. Time will tell I guess.
Tim

Found the 400° clamps at Gen Hardware:

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/store.asp

He has MS21919WCH in various sizes. No CJs.

By the way, the local wiring guru doing his own 172 rebuild showed me some nifty little plastic zip tie holders that go on the attachment bolt for the Adel clamp. So all his wire harnesses are clamped to the engine mount and then held by zip ties. Of course all his wires are covered with plastic wrap too, and labeled. Adds a bit of weight but it's a beautiful installation.

Last edited:
They were there if you get the selection criteria decoded and press the right web buttons...:)

One example - MS21919WCJ4 - $10.22 for 5 pcs.

I've never had much luck with his web site. Was happy to find what I did. Now I see the slide for more options! Thanks.

Do you think almost 2 and half times the price for 50 more degrees is important?

Last edited:
I've never had much luck with his web site. Was happy to find what I did. Now I see the slide for more options! Thanks.

Do you think almost 2 and half times the price for 50 more degrees is important?

More important than the 50 F degrees is this bit on AeroElectric Bobs list -

Silicone - for elevated temperature usage in phosphate-ester based fluid and other synthetic fluid contaminated areas. Unaffected by ozone. Not resistant to petroleum based fluids. Color shall be natural white.

Back