What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Homemade oil filter cutter tool .

jordanRV6

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a homemade tool to cut open a oil filter ., I want to build my own .. Because I'm a DIY kinda guy.. Let me know what y'all think?

The moderate priced tool... has a replaceable wheel blade offered.
Just buy the blade and mount it to a bolt and handle to roll your own... so to speak.

If you look around you can find a oil filter cutter for pretty cheap. Hard to make at some prices, hard to buy at others. I was going to make one a few decades ago and then a friend said -hey I have one, you want it?

Just decide if you want the type that allows for the male threaded filter. Some don't do this. If you have a good scrap pile it would be a fun project.

The wheels are sold by McMaster Carr for tubing cutters. Depending how scratch built you want to go, you could also take a standard tubing cutter, chop it up, and fabricate a deeper, wider yoke.

There's another thread on this topic that has a lot of good ideas. Probably the best is the machinists vice with 3 cutter wheels on it. The worst was the suggestion to buy a harbor freight exhaust pipe cutter. I went that route and it does open big enough to fit the filter but it's just too cheap, the handle came off. I never did get it to actually cut open a filter.
GZ

Back