What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

0360 / 180HP oil cooler Question ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Van?s supplied me with a Niagra 2002A 7 row cooler with my 0360 baffle kit.
I have read the archives regarding screens, vernatherm seating, sensor location, more rows, double pass etc. Assuming the baffles are leak free , why should I expect problems with a single pass / 7 row as supplied by Vans ? It is still in the box so I can change course if justified.

Simple. Many, although not all, have found that oil cooler marginal or worse with respect to its ability to keep the oil within the desired temperature range. It was not sufficient for my IO-360B1B built by Aerosport Power from ECI parts.

erich

Larry,
Mine is installed per plans behind #4 cyl. (IO-360 M1B). Ran too cool in winter ops., I couldn't get temps above 150?F. I installed Anti-Splat shutter, and was able to get temp up to 180?F at 10?F OAT. Summer ops. with shutter full open and OAT 90?F I'm seeing 190-200?. I am using silicone baffle seals which I think greatly improves cooling efficiency. Make sure your oil temp gauge accurate.

Talk to the oil cooler suppliers to get their recommendation on a cooler. I like Bill at Airflow Systems because he can help with installation options and hardware while Pacific Oil Coolers does not. Depending on which cooler you go with and the configuration of the engine mount, you may or may not be able to mount the cooler on the baffles. I went with AFS? 2006X cooler on my -7A and am satisfied.

Erich

Larry:

Here in the Okanagan, the winter temps average between freezing and 10 F. I, and many others, use a home-made, cockpit controlled, oil shutter to control the oil temperature. If required, we also restrict the air intake to the engine if warranted.

Larry, it depends on your engine. Cold air induction, piston oil squirters (angle valve usually) and electronic ignition all affect either the amount of heat added to the oil, or the ability to remove heat from the oil. I have all three and only now feel I have my oil temperature under control after installing a 15 row cooler on my firewall.

My opinion (worth what you paid for it) is to go oversize if you have any of those configurations. You can always block air flow to the cooler if its too cool. Its a much bigger and expensive project to increase the cooling capacity of your system.

If you want to read a little more on my project to install a larger oil cooler you can find more info starting here.

Back