What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl removal

dahugo

So, could the piano hinges and rods be any more difficult? I HATE removing that cowl. Anybody have ideas for a mod to make it easier?

With the cowling halves separated, insert the hinge pin into one side and look to see if there are any alignment issues with the hinge loops. If there is, you can gently bend or tweak them into slignment. Also check to see that there is nothing rubbing on the pin like excess glue or filler between the hinge loops.
These are the common things that cause hinge pins to be difficult to install and remove.

I had the same problem until I got the tip to grind down half the pin for about an inch, and round the edge to a point, of course, which makes the hinge act like a reamer.

It's much better now and it was impossible before, which is good because I really like the "invisible" nature of the hinge method.

Chase the hinge holes

You may need to chase the hinge holes too, they tent to get a built up of stuff (epoxy, dust, primer, paint) and can be no fun as a result. a pc of 4-40 rod carefully bend and sized does the job nicely. It's a quality half hour, chasing the holes from both sides and top and bottom hinges. :)

Is your airplane flying?

I found that a couple of heat cycles really allowed my cowling to "relax" a little and made it much easier to install and uninstall it.

Skybolts?

Skybolts around the fire wall and horizontal
hinge connecting the two halfs make for a very
easy cowl on/off.

Back