What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UHMW tape types and sources?

bruceh

Well Known Member
Looking at the tip up canopy instructions, it mentions that you should put some UHMW tape 1/4" to 1/2" wide under the forward canopy skin. Looks like another use will be on the canopy latch.
Van's only sells really wide and long strips of UHMW tape for putting on the flaps. A google search of UHMW tape comes up with all sorts of types, sizes, thicknesses, color, adhesives, etc. 3M makes quite a few versions.

Anyone have a preferred brand/type and supplier for a roll of UHMW tape?

Bruce, you and I are at the same place, and I'm wondering the same thing. I hope some answers come forth. Meanwhile, you can go ahead and work using a couple layers of blue masking tape. It's been working for me so far.

Order the 10 ft roll from Vans and cut as needed. You will be suprised where and how often you will use it here and there if you have some handy. Larry

Not at this stage yet but what exactly is this UHMW tape and why is it used.
Probably should read further into he build but thought i'd ask.

I'd recommend you check out the other options of edge protection tapes vs. the UHMW tapes because UHMW tape yellows due to UV light. I have yellow'd UHMW tape on one of my flaps and now I have the 'fun' task of removing it and replacing it with a non-yellowing paint-protection tape.

Bruce,
Check out McMaster-Carr. Next day delivery if ordered early enough.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw-polyethylene-tape/=d4wuzd

Bill

Bill, I was pondering that page when I posted this thread.
Any particular type? They list a bunch of different ones.

I'm thinking the "Strong and Slippery UHMW Polyethylene Tape with Super-Bond Adhesive" might be best? Certainly gives it a better chance of sticking to the metal and not falling off. Now which thickness - .0012" or .0022"?

I'd recommend you check out the other options of edge protection tapes vs. the UHMW tapes because UHMW tape yellows due to UV light. I have yellow'd UHMW tape on one of my flaps and now I have the 'fun' task of removing it and replacing it with a non-yellowing paint-protection tape.

Not only does it yellow, but it also gets brittle with age.

When you get done replacing your "flap" UHMW tape, why dontcha come on down and help with mine? ;-)

I did some reading of the posts on this UHMW tape. As far as I see it's just to protect surfaces from scratching. I beleive the stuff you can now get that protects running boards and front bumpers on vehicles from stone chips is basically the same thing. I've used it on my own vehicle and rocks don't seem to affect it. I assume this would work fine except my truck isn't going to be going 170mph either or it would be one heck of a speeding ticket.

Flyboy accessories

We used bits of the Vans UHMW tape all over the place during the build, we made some thin shims from it, around the canopy secondary latch, all sorts of places. What we used on the LE of the flaps, around the gear legs where the intersection fairings rub etc was 3M paint protection film from Flyboy Accessories http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/store/ Its a bit softer than the Vans tape so it goes on a little easier, it doesn't yellow and it's supposed to come off cleanly a few year down the line should you need to replace it.

Dave

What Dave said is spot on... and not just because we sell it. We sell it because it works 10x better than UHMW tape and lasts 10X longer.

I've removed some recently from my plane after 5+ years and it comes off cleanly, no residue, and doesn't pull off the paint.

What Dave said is spot on... and not just because we sell it. We sell it because it works 10x better than UHMW tape and lasts 10X longer.

I've removed some recently from my plane after 5+ years and it comes off cleanly, no residue, and doesn't pull off the paint.

Yes... most definite, I bought from Vince just a couple of month ago. Great Stuff... only the Best from Vince!!! :)

Back