What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Spar Countersink

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm in the process of countersinking the main spar skin rivet holes on the spar web on a RV-7. The countersink depth is set so a dimpled skin will fit.

In the fuel tank area, there are two rivet holes at each main rib location. This is the same as the leading edge area, except the leading edge area has two rivet holes at every location (one for the bottom skin and one for the top skin).

I can't find a call out for the top rivet hole in the tank area. It seems to me that the rivet hole must be countersunk for a AN426AD3-XX rivet.

Van's couldn't say for sure and will be getting back with me on Monday.

What does the collective say?

cs2.jpg

I did

I countersunk those . I did it after the tank was done, so had to take off the tank one more time to do these. See my blogspot or my forum posts of my build on here. (Search pilotjohns on here.) these were done to make the river flush. I would set those rivets before match drilling the skin.(i didnt)

Last edited:
Michael, did Van's ever get back to you with a specific rivet length call-out for these? I'm curious too, and found no reference in the plans.

Michael, did Van's ever get back to you with a specific rivet length call-out for these? I'm curious too, and found no reference in the plans.

Boy, expecting me to remember what happened 3 months ago is asking a lot :eek:

Van's called back and no, they couldn't find the callout either :rolleyes:

They agreed that countersinking was correct but we didn't discuss the rivet length.

I believe I used a 3-3.5.

Back