What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing root rubber boots

miyu1975

Well Known Member
What did you use to glue the rubber piece that goes over the wing root fairing to the fuselage. I tried 3M Weatherstripping adhesive with mild success. Looking for a better solution. thanks.

I have found that a tennis shoe repair glue known as "Shoe Goo" works well. It's thick and can be messy. I only use it sparingly.

You can also use silicone RTV. I have used black RTV with reasonable success. And it's usually already somewhere in your workshop if you're a car guy too.

Mine would come undone occasionally in flight...the buzzing noise gets your attention! After 150 hours, I decided to fix it...use weather strip adhesive from your local auto parts store. Follow the directions.

Alternately, if they're too tight (like mine), make sure the gap is per the plans...I erred on the side of a small gap and that's what makes them want to come off.

If you don't fly fast it is not a big problem

When it comes out it sounds like it is whirling in a spiral fashion and beating against the wing and fuselage ... because it is. I never had it happen below 200 mph. The first time I used pliobond (sp?). After the second time I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive (yellow) and I never had it happen again. It is a contact cement and needs to be used that way. I think it is the best but that's just one opinion.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I was introduced to Pliobond at a young age as the PERFECT adhesive for aviation use....still use it for thing slike this. I only worry about the "tail" end of the rubber fairing (under the belly) where it is not well captured and can come loose to bang around in the slipstream. I have never had the Pliobond fail - but I bet the Shoe-Goo would work well.

Most of the strip should be fully captured if your gap is correct.

pliobond

Pliobond. There's a blast from the past! My Dad used that to fix everything. Made me think of him immediately. :)

This here is an example of why this site works so well. I was just thinking about this very thing recently. I was gonna try using the weatherstrip glue but I think I will try the shoe goo first.

Has anyone ever used the dreaded proseal for this application? Sticks like mad, sandable, paintable, etc. Wondering if you'd regret it later if the rubber channel ever needed to be replaced.

Back