What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Missed dimple on VS skin

riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
Posted also in my building project

First boo-boo...

Well, it had to happen... And I'm sure it won't be the last...

While dimpling the VS skin, I must of slipped just a hair while the handle was going down. Don't know how that could happen as I always make sure the die is engaged before pressing down.

Anyway, it happened, and now one hole was dimpled just on it's edge.
I thought (or maybe not thinking, depends on how you see it ), of enlarging the hole to number 4 size rivet since it was so close. Dimpled it to the new size but it's ugly I believe.

I'm thinking now if I should order a new skin, if a new one can be match drilled to the original spars and ribs.

Or drilling cleanly that hole to prevent cracking of the skin and leave it without a rivet.
Or as above and putting one or two rivets just above/below that hole.

Here are photos for the experts here...
Waiting for your precious advice !!!

PICT3888.jpg

PICT3891.jpg

There may be a RV built without an OOPS rivet, but I doubt it. Drill out the hole to #30 and leave the dimple alone. Put in a rivet with a 1/8" shank and 3/32 head.

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1097K

Avialable from several other sources. I would recommend the NAS 1097 rivets for installing nutplates, especially those that use a 3/32 rivet in thin material. You can countersink .016 enough to avoid having to dimple a steel nutplate. Vans approves their use for all nutplates, and I have a selection of -3, -3.5 and -4. I sometimes countersink using the manual deburrer, just about 5-6 turns with a reasonable sharp 100 degree tool.

Don't order a new skin. I considered the same thing when i popped a hole in my vs skin also. You're going to do this more than once:eek: . You can put a rivet on either side of this one, use an oo:Dps rivet... you have options :D . Craftsmanship is recovering from mistakes in this project.

A couple ounces of epoxy, micro balloons, an old hotel card key, and some sandpaper and problem solved.

1/8" rivet

Would a full head 1/8" rivet cover the damage? if so you could enlarge teh hole to 1/8", enlarge the dimple and fit an 1/8" rivet in there.

Dave

I'm a fan of the epoxy route, especially if you have already drilled and dimpled the structure. You can either set the rivet and touch the gap with a tiny bit of epoxy or you can cleco everything together with a small amount of epoxy at the hole and then clean out the dimple with a countersink before setting the rivet. Either way adds strength and much less than an ounce of weight and will be invisible after paint.

Would a full head 1/8" rivet cover the damage? if so you could enlarge teh hole to 1/8", enlarge the dimple and fit an 1/8" rivet in there.

Dave

Thanks Dave, it's already been enlarged to 1/8 but the head doesn't cover all.

I'll continue to explore options.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!!

Keep them coming!!!

Back