What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who has an alt engine and which one?

TSwezey

Well Known Member
Just curious to see who's building or has built a plane with an alt. engine.

ME: RV-10 with Chevy LS2
Flying 145 hours

Subaru H6

in my RV-7A. 210 hrs.
Now running an IVO in-flight adjustable prop - 3 blade, 66" dia.
Update: I added a second exhaust outlet and painted my cowl and gear fairings this year. Cruises at 150-155KTAS 9.5 gph, usually climb at 85-100KIAS (800-1000fpm depending on speed and load)
All temps (oil, coolant, GB) run around 200F (185-210 depending on conditions) running NPG+ waterless coolant.
I recently changed to water/glycol recently and temps are all below 200 now.
I use 93 octane auto fuel (and 100LL + Decalin when I can't)

Last edited:
Wilksch WAM 120 Diesel

RV9, 135 hours flying, no problems.

Kurt Goodfellow
Boulder City, NV

WAM-120

Wilksch WAM-120 in an RV-9A.
120 kt IAS cruise at 16 litres/hour (that's about 4.2 gal/hr).
70 hours so far. I love it!

Dave

Last edited:
Geared Drives LS1. Installing engine right now. Should have first start (static) in about four weeks. Still waiting on the MT 3 blade.

Yeah, it's a RV-10.

Last edited:
Chevy

We now have 550+ hours on our chevy, only minor maint. oil changes etc. Finally changed plugs after 6 years.. Wow the expense.
Jess

Alt engine type

RV-9A w/1988 Mazda 13B. Engine had 40 hrs. or so in a Glastar before I purchased FWF. Hope to get to an engine start this summer and finish electrical and canopy.

Doug Lomheim
OK City, OK

9A with NSI/MPS atmo EJ25 Subaru

I have a 9A with about 160 hrs with what started out as an NSI package but was repowered with an MPS long block including standard EJ25 SOHC heads. Much of the wiring including dual Motec M4s is not NSI/MPS derived.
A/c is good for 165 KIAS at 2,000' standard atmosphere and about 1,500 fpm climb at 110 KIAS.
Have experienced a number of spun rod bearing incidents and believe that I may have identified the cause (bouncing relay contacts on small multipole relay which changes control of the injectors from one ECU to the other). I think that this problem is specific to my installation but stand to be corrected.
About to install an MPS EJ26 (modified EJ25) and will report.
A/c is fairly heavy at 1,120 lbs but has tip tanks and header tank for total 58 gal plus extended fuselage storage box. NSI muffler is also heavy but a/c is very quiet, especially at lower power settings where the predominant sound is the typical 9 "whistle".

Rupert Clarke
Melbourne Australia

RV-10 with a Geared Drives LS1

Engine/Gearbox mounted and cooling system installed. Working on cowl modifications. Will purchase engine management computer on the way back from Oshkosh. Hope to have everything installed and the engine started by the end of the year.

Dave Hertner
Builder #40164
London, Ontario

mazda 13b

mazda 13b
Naturally aspirated
rws rd-1b PSRU
rws ec2

soon, Tech Welding engine mount... and a fuselage kit to put it all on.

RV7A now at 230 hours. Engine is based on the Subaru STI engine but has longer stroke crank and custom pistons with 10.4 to 1 compression and 2.6 liter displacement. The engine is now naturally aspirated, but it has been boosted in the past via roots type supercharger, and then turbocharger. Both of those installations had problems with reliability, but with stellar performance.

Now running normally aspirated 2.6 liter STI based engine with longer stroke and custom pistons bringing displacement to 2.6 liters. I believe my engine and Rupert Clarke's engine are very similar, assembled by Maxwell Propulsion.

Cooling in the hot conditions in the California "Valley" has proven to be just fine using NPG plus coolant and a 4 PSI radiator cap. This is a plus as it allows a nearly no pressure cooling system, eliminating much stress on the hoses and connections, and the boil over potential is practically eliminated.

Normally aspirated performance is a bit disappointing after having two different boosted applications in this airframe, but reliability is now excellent. Previous boosted installations achieved VNE speeds at 8000'. Current cruise performance is in the 150 knot range at 8000', it will top out at 164 knots.

Fuel consumption seems pretty good, giving me 140 to 150 knot cruise at 7 to 8 GPH.

Randy C

Geared Drives LS1. Installing engine right now. Should have first start (static) in about four weeks. Still waiting on the MT 3 blade.

Yeah, it's a RV-10.

COOL!! I will be following your progress on the LS1 setup as this is exactly what I will be using. Those MT props are amazing, There was a Yak down here at KCMA with a MT prop that was just a work of art!

I have a turbocharged Mazda 13B in my RV-6. Fair amount of growing pains but the last couple of years have been very low maintinance. You can see details on my web page.
Currently 520 flight hours. Plenty of boost available. To date, I have had it to 202 KTAS at 8500', but of course usually fly much slower for fuel burn. 150KTAS burns 8.5GPH at 7500'.

Dave & All;
I picked the 13b turbo because I thought it would be the most reliable conversion engine once the systems (cooling & control) are mastered.
I'm encouraged by the success stories, and take lessons from the problems of others who mostly post on the flyrotary forum ;)
Your speed is getting right up there, and no cause to feel less than a traditional engine. Although a few Lycoming powered RVs have gone faster, yours exceeds most and still has some room to grow.
I hope to do as well. I'm following, learning, and working....

Chevy LS-2 Price

Saw a Youtube video of a -10 with the Corvette engine in it and it sounds great! Just curious as to the price of a setup like this, I'm finding mixed ranges.

I believe the Geared Drives FWF kit is about $31000. I'm rolling my own for about $18000. Lot's of extra work doing it that way, however.

556315.html
Hi,

I am half owner of an RV-9a with an Eggenfellner Subaru engine. It's a 2000 model engine 2.5 liter SOHC NA engine with 314 hours on it so far. Aircraft has been flying for about 4 years. It has the original Subaru ECU from the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market). Engine has been almost trouble free so far. We have had an occational stuck ring on one cylinder. We are now running auto fuel almost exclusively to try to keep the rings clean. Performance is similar to an O-320 equipped aircraft. Top speed is 173 KTS and we use about a 60 percent cruise for 140 KTS at 6.2 GPH. Very happy with this engine and electric adjustable Warp Drive prop. Thanks for listening.

-Andy

Back