What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

broken bubble canopy

fredbauerjr

Well Known Member
:mad:

Well, now I have gone and done it!
Too much pounding on trying to get that **** aluminum skirt to fit to the canopy and canopy frame.

Any suggestions out there in cyber-space?
1) buy another canopy from Van's
2) buy a canopy someplace else?

Thanks everyone for the input.

Question? Does Todd's canopies have the same profile, (to attach to the VAF tip-over frame) as the VAF canopy?

Have you ruled out a repair?

Sorry to hear about that, Fred. Depending on how bad the crack is, there are options for repair. Seems I read a recent RVator where Ken Scott from Vans evaluated a plexi repair product with acceptable results. I recall some other discussions on repairs on this forum in the past - perhaps search on canopy crack repair with the search tool?

Drill Stop

Sorry to hear about that, Fred. Depending on how bad the crack is, there are options for repair. Seems I read a recent RVator where Ken Scott from Vans evaluated a plexi repair product with acceptable results. I recall some other discussions on repairs on this forum in the past - perhaps search on canopy crack repair with the search tool?

If not too bad, drill stop it. Then you have time to consider your options.

bubble canopy replacement

Thanks for all the input on my broken canopy problem.
Because we have already fitted some of the canopy skirting we have decided to go through Van's for our replacement canopy.
It is my understanding that "Gee Bee Canopies", Glen Breitsprecker (sp) made the canopies untill a little after his death a couple of years ago, (that is sad, I personnaly visited Glen about 25 years ago and watched him make a canopy in his garage).
Apparently Airplane Plastics now makes the canopies for Van's and I have my fingers crossed that I get one that fits my canopy frame AND is a good teardrop looking canopy, (one that tapers a long way aft with a long tail on it), we will see!
I will report back on the canopy installation for everyone.
Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply with various options.

Fred

canopy source

Fred,

Consider buying the canopy directly from Airplane Plastics. Because the -3 canopy doesn't require the use of Van's tooling, he can sell directly to the end user. Owners name is Jeff Rogers and his number is 937 669-2677. E-mail is [email protected] . It would be worth a call to see if you can save a few $$ and some time.

Tony

Thanks Tony, unfortunately it is too late.:(

I should have waited but I am so close to finishing this project I got caught up in getting it done and flying.

Fred

Thanks Tony, unfortunately it is too late.:(

I should have waited but I am so close to finishing this project I got caught up in getting it done and flying.

Fred

Still be worthwhile to see if Van will have it drop shipped from the Airplane Plastics shop in Ohio.

Tony

One Last Comment

We purchased our replacement canopy from Airplane Plastics in Ohio. This is the company that is making canopies for Van's.

We can not be any happier (except for price) with the replacement canopy we received. Our canopy was shipped to us promptly and it was trimmed so the flat bottom flange was gone and it was ready for final fitting. Best of all it fit Van's canopy frame and it has the aerodynamic teardrop shape that looks so good on the RV's and the optics are great.

I would not hesitate in recommending Airplane Plastics to anyone.

Thanks again for all the helpfull input everyone was willing to share, it all helped in making my canopy decision.

Back