What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Horizon WS

Dugaru

Well Known Member
My 2007 -9A came with a GRT Horizon WS. Not the newest box, but I've been really impressed with its functionality so far (especially compared to my Warrior's steam gauges.....).

One small problem, however -- the Horizon WS PFD screen seems to develop the "leans" on takeoff. The attitude display becomes inaccurate, excessively tossed to one side. The same thing happens to the "ball" representation. Everything calms down shortly after I'm done climbing.

Meanwhile, my Garmin G5, perhaps reflecting its more recent vintage, is rock solid throughout. :)

Any suggestions? I make sure to observe the warmup period for the EFIS on startup, and everything usually looks fine as I'm taxiing around.

Record In Demo Mode

Record to a USB in Demo mode as it happens and send the data as an attached file to GRT. They are very good at analyzing the data and can recommend next steps.

AHRS

So don't be surprised when after sending GRT the demo file, they suggest you send in the AHRS for repair. Suggest you spend some time studying how to get the AHRS out of the plane. I built my RV7a 10 years ago with WS units, then upgraded to HX units but still have the same AHRS. Still going strong after 1640 hours after 10 years. Good luck.

Thanks for the info

Much appreciated.

Another aircraft ownership adventure looms. :)

Back