What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset Jack Location

Wayne

Well Known Member
I am seeking input on the best location for the headset jacks in my -7a tipup.

I have considered the panel above the air vents and bulkhead by your elbows (armrest).

Pro's and Con's - especially from those of you that are flying would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne
-7a panel

I have a RV-6 with a tip-up canopy. My headset jacks are near the armrest. I usually hang the headset on the mixture control and the wire is always in the road for getting in and out of the plane. I've been thinking about relocating the jacks to just in front of the torque tube for the flaps, between the seat backs, but I am still thinking about it. I'd like to hear what others have done. My plane has elecric flaps.

I put mine on the first bulkhead ahead of the spar on the left and right sides. That way the cords just run beside you coming from the front. When the headsets are stored (I made some hangars on the sides under the panel) they are out of sight and the coords are down in the gear towers (in my 9A).

head set jack locations

Suggest mounting them in the channel that runs from top bow rearward. Wires will always be behind you and not anywhere in the cabin area where you sit.

Someone could probably send you pictures. I am away from home but could send myself after returning home. Let me know

I put mine in the flap covers in the baggage compt. I let the cables run back along the seat. So far so good.

Roberta

A picture of my setup. I rest my headset inverted outside my left foot when getting out. No problems getting in/out.

Panel.jpg

I too started with the jacks on the outer edges of the instrument panel and laid the headsets on the floor like Doug suggested, however, my passengers were still stepping on them getting in/out.

I have since moved the jacks under the panel behind the throttle quad. We also made a simple hangar for the headset out of 1/2 pvc pipe and elbows and mounted it under the throttle quad.

Now the headsets hang neatly in the center, out of harms way and are easily reached. And the cords fall naturally up the center between pilot and passenger.

Beetween the seatbacks

Hi.

I put them beetween the seatbacks on top and in the middle of the F-705 F channel.
I riveted on a piece of .63 angle on the inside of the channel and to regain any lost stiffness since this channel is connected to the rollbar on each end.

I routed cables for both headsets underneath the F-721B-R channel and underneath the F-721A-R fwd canopy deck.

This is the same routing as Vans recommends for the static line, except that I used the right hand side of the cockpit ofcourse.

I've interior from CAD and can't use the armrest position for the jacks.

This way the cables will be completely out of the way.

I installed Vans ELT bracket on the right hand side of the aft fuse and was able to route the ELT-wires together with the headset cables from the point where the cables joined up (underneath the rollbar) and forward to the instrument panel.

Regards Alf Olav Frog / Norway
RV-7 finishing/wiring

I put my jacks below the panel on home made brackets I riveted to the lower flange on the panel inboard of the air vents on my -9A slider. It kept the wire runs short and was easy to install. I haven't hit them yet entering/exiting the airplane.

My bud put his jacks near the top baggage bulkhead on his -6 tip-up and he discovered the volume knob on the little control box on his Clarity Aloft headset is now out of reach.

Steve

I always put the jacks at the back of the left and right arm rests. This way the cables are never in your way. I make a bracket and mount it just forward of the air vents to hang the headsets on.

headset jacks

guess i'm just a conventional old f*rt, i put mine on the switch sub-panel at the outermost extremes. it just might be possible someday that i might want to swap headsets inflight, and i don't want to be reaching behind me to do it.

jack locations

I am seeking input on the best location for the headset jacks in my -7a tipup.

I put my pilot and passenger jacks under the panel against the side walls. Since I never unplug the pilot ones, that's fine.. but I really wish I put the passenger jacks on the panel over the air vents where they are plainly visible and easy to reach.

Whenever I switch from flying with or without a passenger, I plug and unplug those jacks and I wish they were easier to see and reach while buckled in. My headsets are mismatched and I always unplug the passenger one when flying alone.... maybe I don't have to do this.. but I find that I adjust the sensitivity differently when flying alone and unplugging the unused set makes that easier.

Instead of unplugging the pax headset have you tried just switching your intercom to pilot isolate. That would cure the problem of the different settings.

Head Phone Sockets: Best Position?

Hi Guys,

easy question...

Where is the best position to put your headphone sockets and Head sets for a side by side RV?

Seems all the RVs I have flown in the wires and/or headset storing position are always a hazzle during the climb in.

Descriptions and/or pictures appreciated.

Thanks,
Rudi
EDIT: OOPS sorry did not know the topic was already covered, thanx to moderators for moving my Question

Last edited:
Hi again..

..Rudi,
The best place in my opinion is on either side of the instrument panel or on the arm rests so you can lay the excess wires next to the seats, out of the way.

Regards,

Mine are on the cross bar that supports the seat back and between the two seats. I don't like it. If you need to reseat the jacks it is hard to do. I have had to stop the engine at the runup area to unbuckle and reseat them when I determined that somehow one was not seated properly.

My jacks are above the baggage bulkhead. I plan to make hangars on the baggage bulkhead to hang the headsets on when not in use, but leave them plugged in. It is difficult to plug the headsets in while sitting in the seats, but easy to pull them out and plug them into my handheld in case of power failure. Hanging them on the back wall will also keep them out of the way of loading/unloading baggage.
FP17112007A0002K.jpg

My jacks are on the floor between the O/B edge of each seat and the fuselage side wall. You might think it would be a little cramped for access to the plugs but this is not a problem as I usually never touch the plugs as they are mostly left in. The plugs can be accessed when seated, however I would usually plug them in before getting into the plane if necessary. The cables run aft along the floor, behind the seat and the headsets are stored on hangers behind the passenger seat. http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/fpgath/HEADSETS.jpg
The pilot's headset is on the port hanger and the passenger's on the starboard hangar. The headsets can be easily accessed by the pilot when seated. The procedure is; seat belts on, pilot puts his headset on then passes the passenger their headset. The cables run upward from the baggage compartment between the pilot/passenger seat belts. When flying solo the passenger headset remains on the hanger. When I lock the aircraft I pull the tonneau cover over the baggage compartment which hides the headsets from view (don't tell anyone!). The only minor downside I have found is that the headsets/hangers can get in the way when loading bulky items in the baggage compartment. I am thinking about maybe making the hangers removable or retractable or locating them under the F-705 channel.

Fin
9A Flying

Back