What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder trim suddenly changes on Autopilot

I have the dynon autopilot in my RV-10 and have noticed a problem where the rudder trim changes suddenly when on autopilot. I realize that there are no servo controls to the rudder but it feels like suddenly someone stands on the rudder (i have seen it go both ways, left or right) during cruise.

I have a dynon autopilot.

Any ideas as to what can cause this?

Check the friction value in your nose wheel fork.
It is probably too loose.
Spiral prop wash moves the nose wheel in flight which changes rudder trim.

I had the exact same problem. It was the breakout force on the nose gear. Tighten it up and the nose gear will not swing left or right due to prop wash. It was very disconcerting to feel the plane yaw uncommanded. Very simple problem to fix

I wouldn't just "tighten" it. I would go back to the instructions and follow it. I think it was 26 lbs using a fish scale with the scale attached to a specific point on the castor.

Another search function win! I am going to set proper breakout force on a -10 to fix a wandering ball. Lots easier than installing a rudder trim servo, but there are some nice options I will file away for possible future use.

Never would have thought of this particular fix, thanks VAF! :D

Back