- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
I covered the top of my glair shield with Velcro loop fabric. (Feels and looks like a low nap flat black velvet cloth.)
Where do you get a sheet of Velcro loop fabric? I've only ever seen it in strips.

George
Old 01-17-2020, 07:11 PM

I moved my Stratus 2 from the glareshield to the baggage compartment due to HEAT. The sun would shine on it and it would shut down from overtemp.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-roll View Post
Question for the flying part of this section, would ”smaller” things mounted on the glare shield bother you? The reason for the question is is that I can’t find a good place for a GLD-50 other than on the glare shild and I ’m not that far in the build to be able to judge whether this will drive me nuts in the future or not

/Johan
I have the Dynon 2020 GPS receiver mounted on my glare shield in a purchased -8, and there are times when there is a very annoying reflection. I would avoid putting anything there if at all possible.
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction
Old 01-17-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernliving View Post
I have the Dynon 2020 GPS receiver mounted on my glare shield in a purchased -8, and there are times when there is a very annoying reflection. I would avoid putting anything there if at all possible.
The Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna is white, and anything light-colored on the glareshield will cast an annoying reflection on the windscreen. As I mentioned in Post #14, since the GDL 50 is a dark color, I have found that it doesn't cast reflections on the windscreen of my RV-8.

Put a piece of dull black-colored cloth over the Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna and it won't reflect on the windscreen.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 01-17-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
The Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna is white, and anything light-colored on the glareshield will cast an annoying reflection on the windscreen. As I mentioned in Post #14, since the GDL 50 is a dark color, I have found that it doesn't cast reflections on the windscreen of my RV-8.

Put a piece of dull black-colored cloth over the Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna and it won't reflect on the windscreen.
I was thinking of placing the SV-GPS Receiver antenna inside the canopy beside the rear canopy rail on top of the turtle deck, any disadvantages with that?

RV 8
Hangar/work-shop done
Wings & empennage done
O 360 A4A picked up
Working on the fuselage
Engine rebuilt, add Fly—Efii 32
Installing Sky-View
Old 01-18-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlndRvtr View Post
Where do you get a sheet of Velcro loop fabric? I've only ever seen it in strips.

George
Just google Velcro fabric. I had bought mine from some online fabric store. Works great for a glareshield cover.
Garmin G900X
First Flight 2/14/2019
Old 01-18-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I was thinking of placing the SV-GPS Receiver antenna inside the canopy beside the rear canopy rail on top of the turtle deck, any disadvantages with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post

I'll try to cover. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I like this location option for the GPS. The only possible concern/objection would be the relatively long wire run to the EFIS.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlndRvtr View Post

George
Hey George,

I covered my glare shield with inexpensive black carpet, acrylic stuff, purchased from Pep Boys. Glued it down with 3M spray adhesive. Its "loop" function is even better than Velcro itself; just put the Velcro hook tape on GPS pucks, etc. and they really stay put!
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2020
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 01-18-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
No disadvantages; it's a great location. My previous RV-8 has a Garmin GPS antenna located there and it worked great. Obviously, the reflection on the canopy wasn't a problem back there. Here is a pic:

My current RV-8 has the Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna under the engine cowl, on a bracket attached to the firewall. That has worked fine as well. This location requires that the cowl is not painted with metallic paint. Here is a pic:

Hope that helps.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 01-18-2020 at 05:26 PM.