- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
So what is the required concentration, capacity, and discharge rate of the system you're considering?
Well that is the question. I found a few old military reports on Halon concentration requirements, but couldn't find anything published for the replacements. I don't doubt your numbers of 1.6 lbs/sec, and the systems I was looking at were 5 lb bottles that sprayed for <10 seconds. There's no way they would be effective unless I was stationary on the ground. That's ok though, I'll do up the firewall insulation and Ti skins and call it good. It'll save me 10 lbs for the system install anyway. I've read your posts on the firewall fire proofing many times, but can you post a link to any info on a belly plate? Thanks.

2020 dues paid.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:45 AM

Default PROTENG

Check this out. I’m considering it for my new build.

Www.proteng.com

It is currently installed on EAA’s RV-6.
2020 =VAF= donor
Old 01-07-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4573 View Post
Well that is the question. I found a few old military reports on Halon concentration requirements, but couldn't find anything published for the replacements. I don't doubt your numbers of 1.6 lbs/sec, and the systems I was looking at were 5 lb bottles that sprayed for <10 seconds. There's no way they would be effective unless I was stationary on the ground. That's ok though, I'll do up the firewall insulation and Ti skins and call it good. It'll save me 10 lbs for the system install anyway. I've read your posts on the firewall fire proofing many times, but can you post a link to any info on a belly plate? Thanks.
Paul,

Two lbs/sec cooling flow and 900 grams per m^3 are rough worst case estimates which assume cruise speed, and a Halon replacement requiring roughly double the concentration. And you should not take them as gospel; I was merely thinking out loud.

Appears to be some good data here:
https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/11-31.pdf

A few belly overlays here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=158579
Old 01-07-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krwalsh View Post
...difficult to know if you have a fire situation...
I had the same concern so installed a cheap digital meat thermometer with the probe sticking through the firewall just below the oil cooler. I also installed a 3/8" bulkhead fitting on the right side of the panel leading to a spray bar across the top of the engine compartment above the fuel lines/pumps. My Halon fire extinguisher nozzle fits right into the bulkhead fitting. I have no idea if it would work when needed and hope never to find out.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS19087 View Post
Check this out. Im considering it for my new build.

Www.proteng.com

It is currently installed on EAAs RV-6.
I looked into those systems as well. The large warnings on the website say "this is a total flooding agent" and "used in confined spaced, not for outside fires". That says to me, it would be completely useless while the airplane was moving and generating any type of airflow through the cowl.

2020 dues paid.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:19 AM

My vote would be for no. In fact my IAR823 (Romanian Exp) has a pressurized cylinder on the firewall with nozzles that have a burst tip to do their thing. I pulled it off.

In my race car I've had 7 fires and used every type of agent available. By the time you detect fire I assure you there is enough damage done that the wiring is usually toast and the engine is coming out either way.

In my "big" fire (video available) I detected fire at about 80mph and by the time I came to a stop it was raging (similar to a takeoff scenario). I had 5lbs of AFFF plumbed into the engine, and 5lbs of Halotron also plumbed into the engine and an additional 2lb Halon handheld. The fire kept on going despite deployement of all of these in the closed engine bay. Finally after a minute the fire crews arrived and one quick shot of an ABC dry-chem later it was all done.

AFFF foam seems to do pretty well if you happen to have the nozzles pointed at the problem and give it some time to do its thing.
Halon and Halotron seem to need an enclosed vessel to get their business done.

ABC does have a melting type agent in the "A" part that makes a mess but lordy it sure knocks fires down. They do make a BC only which should wash out easier but I haven't used that particular one.

Another thing I like about a simple handheld (dry chem is my weapon of choice) is to remember the fire might not be you! You could roll up to an accident on the taxi-way and use it to help remove some occupants or many other scenarios. I know nobody likes dry-chem but it has never once let me down and unintended fire is really attention getting.

My .02. (Edit: Extinguishers are a personal choice so do what makes you sleep well. Any is better than none. My opinions come from specific personal experience and performance background)
www.AirpowerInsurance.com
Phoenix, AZ
tj@airpowerinsurance.com

* IAR823, Based KDVT

Last edited by tjyak50 : 01-23-2020 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Clarity and avoiding feather ruffling..