VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-26-2016, 01:56 PM

Cool weep no more

How much is it costing you? I have both tanks on my RV-4 that won't quit weeping. I seal them up and in a few months they are seeping again. Only way I know is that my paint gets stained. No drops on the floor in the hangar or anything but it drives me nuts! Maybe they can help?
Old 02-26-2016, 09:43 PM

Default cost

Paul has quoted me $850 per tank. Took me a few years to pull the trigger and of course the cost went up. I figured I would try it myself but in the end I'm glad I didn't.
Incidently I think there are many out there that weep. The fact that I had slosh made the decision easier.

Membership due Oct., 2020
RV-4 0-360-188 Catto 3-blade C-FTDQ...
Old 02-27-2016, 05:27 AM

Paul did my RV-3 tanks a couple years ago, he is great to work with. I tried removing slosh in the inboard bay through the access on the side and that was enough for me. The MEK keep eating my gloves even though they were rated resistant to it, it smells bad but the worse part is trying to get all the slosh removed. I don't think one could ever get it all without a set up like Pauls so I shipped them to him.
He removes the rear baffle and has a set up that sprays the inside for about a day and leaves it looking like new. He then re-seals all the seams and installs the baffle and paints the rivet heads. He also did Vans SB on the fuel tube.
I think you would get more than the cost back when time to sell comes. Buyers are more aware of the slosh problem now and slosh would be a big issue if I were buying one. Cost was about the same as above post and shipping added another 3-4 hundred. It was money well spent.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:12 AM

Default Cost

I think the total was around $2300 for two tanks, shipping both ways and paint to match as I stripped and repainted the tanks as well. I was very impressed with the finished product, well worth the expense.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:12 PM

Default cleaned

[IMG][/IMG]

and sealed....

Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 AM

Thumbs up Wrap up..

So the tanks have been installed and I have had full fuel for almost a month now. Also about 10 hours of flying... All good. No leaks.
Very impressed with Paul's cleaning, very smooth and clean.
One thing to be ware of. He removes the rivets (top and bottom) that secure the rear wall of the tank and then after cleaning, replaces them. Consequently the paint along this row of rivets is touched up and of course, not like new.
Small price to pay for clean, tight tanks. Cheers

Old 01-20-2020, 06:04 PM

Default Hours for fuel tank r&r per sb 11-9-13

Anyone have any current info on the approximate number of hours needed to complete the r&r for the fuel tank removal/fuel system inspection for an RV-6A per SB-11-9-13.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:41 PM

What is the scope of your problem? In other words, what condition do you think your tanks are in?

My estimates:

1) No slosh? 5 minutes to visually inspect.
2) Sloshed, but still passes a visual inspection? 5-10 hours to inspect the fuel system, including pulling and cleaning the finger screens.
3) Failing slosh? 10 hours to disassemble, 10 hours per tank to fix (cut holes in aft baffles, clean the inside of the tank, patch aft baffle). 10 hours to reassemble. 5 hours to clean fuel system.
2019(?) RV-10