VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-09-2015, 06:18 AM

Default nose gear grease

good write up. one thing I noticed is I seem to get better nose wheel fork grease coverage if I have the weight off the nose wheel and rotate the nose wheel side to side when applying grease at the zerk.

Simplicity is the art in design.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-09-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:36 AM

Two weeks ago I installed a taper pin - it all went very smoothly EXCEPT for the reamer.

In short, the reamer sold by ACS was of very poor quality. It stopped making chips after getting only about 1/3rd of the way through. Dressing it allowed it to go another few turns making very fine chips, but then it would stop and need to be dressed again. A slightly more expensive tool from MSC Industrial finished the ream very quickly and is still razor sharp.

Another comment - check your taper pin washer. The comment about no more than 1/16" of an inch protruding is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. In my case, with 1/16" of an inch protruding, the hole in the taper pin was such that it would be impossible to get the cotter pin into place. I continued the ream, slowly, until the pin extended 0.098" which allowed me to just get a cotter pin in place when the castle nut was torqued. There was still more room to go before bottoming out the taper pin washer.

Speaking of torque, there is no need to radically torque the taper pin - as has been said numerous times elsewhere, the nut is only there to retain the taper pin. Make it snug, safety it, and be done.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:39 AM

These are all very good recommendations and alternate recommendations. Thank you for pulling these all together in one concise thread. Some you may want to consider adding so that this could be considered a consolidation of the topic and one source for all information:
-1 Nose weight recommendations and limits
-Wheel upgrades to larger diameters
-Anti-splat nose brace
-Anti-splat lip skid
1978 PA38-112
Old 01-09-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
How do-able is the taper pin upgrade in-situ, with the engine hung?

I seem to remember there's not much room in there
Just pull the engine & mount - it's not hard and only took about a day. Then you can make sure everything is lined up and done properly when installing the pin.

A bonus is that you can closely inspect the engine mount and firewall. I took the opportunity to do exactly this during my condition inspection; my firewall is now spotless as well as the engine mount and the exhaust system, FWF wiring, linkages, etc. all received a very complete inspection and cleaning in the process.

The only issue I found was an adel clamp where the rubber cushion had started to crack. I replaced it.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:51 AM

Default Great discussion

Moderators, can we make this a sticky?
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 01-09-2015, 09:31 AM

Default Thanks so much Walt

Thanks for taking the time to compile all of this into one place. I'll be referencing your thread when I do the condition inspection on my friends RV6A.

RV6 built, flown, and sold
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor
EAA Flight Advisor, CFII
Air Traffic Controller
Old 01-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torTom View Post
Moderators, can we make this a sticky?
Done.

And a few extra keystrokes.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-09-2015, 04:47 PM

Default Good Work.

WOW!...Nice job to you and your capable assistants Walt. Thanks for your efforts to keep us all as safe as possible.

First flight 1-29-13
Phase I complete 5-25-13

INVERTED: Looking Back on Walking Away
Old 01-10-2015, 11:31 AM

These guys are just Studs. WOW Studs.

Walt Aronow (“Walt” on VAF, RV-7A), Bruce Hill (bruceh, 9A), Bill Palmer (same, 8A in-work), Bill Pendergrass (rzbill, 7A), and Alex Peterson (AlexPeterson, 6A).

I went out to the airport and performed the first test of Vans SB which is turning the aircraft in a tight radius and looking at the inside wheel spin direction. It barely was moving forward which indicates a FAIL!!! Running back out today to remove the wheel pants and check the orientation of the stop flange to see if installed correct (My only out is I am the lazy one and didnt build this thing But I sure do love it.

Mine is a RV9a I have the updated fork as well as the antisplataero nose job stiffiner, and beringer front wheel. << All other leg SB complied with..... just need to figure this one out.

Robert M
Olathe KS
Old 01-10-2015, 11:00 PM

Default PDF

Walt,
Why not offer these lesson learned suggestions as a .pdf format? That way six months from now -A drivers won't have to get to the internet and track down an old thread on a forum to review this info.

If you are concerned about changes, date and version it.

Dave A.