Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-31-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McStevens View Post
I read the PCUs and the Johistroj were actually the same governors from the same factory. Is this not true?
Johistroj lists them as a "partner" so it could be true. I wasn't able to find the country of origin anywhere on the APS site, so there is a reasonable chance you are correct. http://www.propellergovernor.com/sales-and-service/
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction
Old 12-31-2019, 05:44 PM

Aircraft Propeller Service (APS) has the sole license in the United States to sell the Jihostroj governor (as the PCU 5000) for certified planes. They took the Jihostroj governor through the certification process so they are the source if you want one for your certified plane. The PCU5000 is the certified version and the PCU5000X is the experimental version they sell, but there's no difference other than paperwork. They are the same governor. I got all of the above information from Jeremy Sutch at Whirlwind Aviation, a distributor for Jihostroj governors.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 12-31-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
Aircraft Propeller Service (APS) has the sole license in the United States to sell the Jihostroj governor (as the PCU 5000) for certified planes. They took the Jihostroj governor through the certification process so they are the source if you want one for your certified plane. The PCU5000 is the certified version and the PCU5000X is the experimental version they sell, but there's no difference other than paperwork. They are the same governor. I got all of the above information from Jeremy Sutch at Whirlwind Aviation, a distributor for Jihostroj governors.
Looks like you can buy a PCU-5000x direct from Jihostroj shipped to the USA for $1,375. http://www.propellergovernor.com/how-to-buy/?product=1

Buying from APS for another $125 is probably worth if for service/support. You would think the price might be better with the strong U$D. I've also read elsewhere(non verified) that Jihostroj makes MT Governors.

I would be interested in hearing from folks that have flown behind different governors and if it makes any real difference. I'll be installing a composite 2 blade Hartzell that Vans sells - G2YR/N7605W-2X if it makes a difference.

Mark - BTW, if you don't have a copy-write on that paint scheme of yours, I might steal it. You have a stunning -8.

Last edited by Northernliving : 12-31-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernliving View Post
Looks like you can buy a PCU-5000x direct from Jihostroj shipped to the USA for $1,375. http://www.propellergovernor.com/how-to-buy/?product=1

Buying from APS for another $125 is probably worth if for service/support. You would think the price might be better with the strong U$D. I've also read elsewhere(non verified) that Jihostroj makes MT Governors.

I would be interested in hearing from folks that have flown behind different governors and if it makes any real difference. I'll be installing a composite 2 blade Hartzell that Vans sells - G2YR/N7605W-2X if it makes a difference.

Mark - BTW, if you don't have a copy-write on that paint scheme of yours, I might steal it. You have a stunning -8.
I've only flown with the Jihostroj governor, but I can say it does a very good job of maintaining set RPM. So far, very happy with it. As for the paint, I've seen different versions of the same scheme here and there, so I can't claim any copyright. The scheme was developed by Jonathan McCormick at Evoke Aviation. Very happy with his work.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 12-31-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:

I’m ready to order, but they are looking for control lever angle, rotation and pressure to increase/decrease. Any insight on how you calculate that info? I'm having a new engine built as I type and converting from FP to CS, so I'm not sure how answer those questions and they haven't been much help.

Brian
You can find the drive ratio and rotation direction in your Lycoming manual or TCDS for your engine model. The increase/decrease pressure depends on whether the prop has counterweights or not. If counterweighted (an aerobatic or feathering prop), loss of oil pressure causes the prop to go to course pitch. Most single engine props are the opposite - oil pressure to increase pitch. Arm clocking is easy - when viewing the governor from the arm end, 3:00 o'clock is "0 degrees", 6:00 is "90", 9:00 is180, etc. Easy to re index once on the ship anyway, so don't worry too much about getting it right.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C - flyable, available for sale
Old 12-31-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
You can find the drive ratio and rotation direction in your Lycoming manual or TCDS for your engine model. The increase/decrease pressure depends on whether the prop has counterweights or not. If counterweighted (an aerobatic or feathering prop), loss of oil pressure causes the prop to go to course pitch. Most single engine props are the opposite - oil pressure to increase pitch. Arm clocking is easy - when viewing the governor from the arm end, 3:00 o'clock is "0 degrees", 6:00 is "90", 9:00 is180, etc. Easy to re index once on the ship anyway, so don't worry too much about getting it right.
Thanks Michael, more than one person here has needed an explanation like that. I had a feeling on those three things but wasn't sure. Just out of curiosity though, is anyone willing to share what angle they had theirs shipped with? I have seen pics on how to re-index it but would rather not have to if it can be avoided by getting it correct. Thanks!
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!

Last edited by jcarne : 12-31-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Thanks. I also really appreciate this info.

Regarding MT Governors and to correct what I typed in an earlier post, I found this note on the Jihostroj website:http://www.propellergovernor.com/model-designation/

For JIHOSTROJ unknown reason, MT PROPELLER has started to designate its propeller governors in a similar way as JSV did before already. They are using similar coding as P-850-X, P-860-X, P-870-X, P-880-X, P-9()()-(), etc.
Please note that MT governors have different design and are manufactured by MT! Please consult the governor nameplate for governor origin!

Go figure! Here are their partners - several in the US including Whirlwind.
http://www.propellergovernor.com/sales-and-service/
Old 01-01-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Regarding MT Governors and to correct what I typed in an earlier post
Also just found this on their website.

Is JIHOSTROJ governor MT governor?
No! And never had been!

Some time ago MT-Propeller distributed JIHOSTROJ governors of model lines P-ABC-XXX and P-ABC-X/Y. It was labeled by MT as MT product, but always this governor was designed and manufactured at JIHOSTROJ. At the present time MT is distributing governors of its own design and manufacture and JIHOSTROJ does not distribute governors via MT! See explanatory chart
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!