Originally Posted by boxflyer*B777
During the last annual inspection I discovered roughly the same amount of play between the nose leg and engine mount as seen in this video. Further investigation revealed the bottom hole in the engine mount was flogged out. Disappointing given that a snug NAS bolt had been installed to prevent exactly that.
I think part of the problem was that I had the unfortunate experience of having two Aeroclassic tubeless tyres in a row that were out of round and exciting a lot of shimmy. Third time lucky I got a tyre that was round and the shimmy is now resolved. But I digress.
From here, installing a taper pin seemed to offer a solution to the flogged out hole. Using the procedure described on Matronics as a guide, the appropriate parts were ordered from ACS. However, it became apparent that the damage was worse than expected and the hole was too large for the taper pin.
I might have considered a new engine mount at this stage, maybe even a tail wheel conversion, but being on the other side of the world there was now no doubt the repair would involve welding.
To my great relief a master toolmaker offered to repair and improve the engine mount. As (I hope) you can see in these photos, compared to the engine mount tube alone there is now a lot more surface area for the taper pin.
The most difficult part of all this was accepting that the engine needed to come off. It got easier after that.
Short of converting to the new nose wheel arrangement, I think my nose gear is now more robust and I don’t anticipate there being any further issues.