What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ready for airworthiness inspection

Rayh

Wow, I am so ready to get my plane in the air before the snow starts flying. A week ago I called the FAA MIDO office in PA that covers WV and asked for some assistance in having someone from the FSDO office in Charleston, WV 80 miles away from me. Still waiting on a call back if they are willing to help. Normally the Charleston FSDO tells people they will not do them, so we shall see.
I may have to go the DAR route but it appears there aren't any closer than 3-4 hour drive time away.
My other option is to take the wings off and trailer it 30 miles away to Ohio where the Columbus FSDO will come and do it.
If I have to go the DAR route does anyone have any recommendations of one that is near the East side of Ohio or West side of WV?
Thanks

I would recommend an FAA inspector, if you can get one. You have already paid for the service. Check your IRS tax return!

Like: Columbus FSDO

I would recommend a DAR. They work for a living as opposed to the "public servants" of the FAA.

I had an excellent experience using the experience and outright helpfulness of the Columbus OH FSDO Flight Safety Inspector (I think that's his title.) Not only did he do the inspection itself, but essentially prepared all of the myriad of forms and also wrote the Program Letter.

I would venture to guess that everyone's experience will vary depending on where you happen to be. Since you are relatively close to Ohio, trailering the 30 miles to get the services of Columbus FSDO may very well be worth it.

BTW, I had to trailer my plane about 20 miles just to get from my garage to the airport. I (and the plane) survived:D!

I had an excellent experience using the experience and outright helpfulness of the Columbus OH FSDO Flight Safety Inspector (I think that's his title.) Not only did he do the inspection itself, but essentially prepared all of the myriad of forms and also wrote the Program Letter.
Seconded. My plane was the first LSA Mr. Welsh had done and there were some corrections needed in his paperwork, but he was thorough, polite, and inquisitive. His follow-up "after the sale" has also been quite good.

Pittsburgh FSDO

The FAA inspectors out of the Pittsburgh FSDO did a great job on my airplane and were a pleasure to work with. So, good news is that you have options, bad news is that it may involve a trailer.

You are far better off than some of us. The San Antonio FSDO simply does not do AW inspections. I consider this a major shortcoming of our government system, imagine if the IRS hired collection agents, or the FBI enlisted bounty hunters only, or other government offices were allowed to do nothing except deputize people to do their job (and charge a big fee for doing it).
My FSDO is 250 miles away, yet they won't do an inspection, and want me to hire a DAR over 500 miles away and pay for his travel in addition to his fee, that can be anything he wants it to be. This is just so wrong in so many ways.

Back