Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-14-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Wing Leading edge build order

Hello

The manual has us cleco the leading edge together, fit it to the spar, match drill, then fully build the tanks before finishing and installing the leading edge.

Would it be possible to rivet the leading edge assembly together, and then either rivet or cleco it to the spar before starting the tank?

After reading ahead the only difference I've noticed is the doubler / splice strip nut plates would get installed after the strip was riveted to the leading edge in order to match the screw holes to the tank skin.

Has anyone tried this build order? I'm trying to use the large number of clecos efficiently and to continue making progress without the tanks being finished.

Thanks
Geoff

Last edited by GeoffH : 11-14-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:05 PM

Default My take

I followed the plans and had no problems; the build order seemed fine. If it is a question of not having enough clecos, I would recommend you buy more because they are cheap. I built both wings at the same time, but they can be done one at a time.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Extra dues paid 2018, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 11-15-2018, 10:29 AM

You'll need the extra clecos when you get to the fuselage anyway - just go ahead and order them.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:25 PM

Thanks. I had about 450 of them, but that's not enough to do both wings at the same time. Quick drive to Aircraft Spruce this morning to get another 250, hopefully that gets me closer.