What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

remote cell switch

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
hi all,
i have been using a switch i built for many years and it works for me. kind of old technology using a photo cell to respond to a cell phone lighting up. i have a friend who wants a remote to use on his preheat but i don't think he is up to all the hoops i had to jump to get my set up to work.
i see units in the $25 dollar range that use a sim card. his heater is only 350 watts so these units would handle this. anyone have experience with these units? he wouldn't have any interest in the boxes i have seen for preheat selling for $150-250 .
thanks for any info.

Bob, I had one of those cheapie boxes and it worked great until the 2G cell service was eliminated. So my only comment is just make sure they work with 3G service or that you have 2G service in your area.
GZ

I have the U-phone-iT power switch

http://www.fstllc.com

It is cell phone activated and Bob, the owner, sells a sim card and keeps it active for a fee less than an account of my own.

Spruce sells some models. It works by sending it messages to activate and had an iPhone app that generates messages. Really a timer for the basic model and can be set to a long time delay to activate the heater in the wee hours.

I like mine!

EDIT: It is made in Wisconsin too !!

I bought a 4G cell phone switch on eBay for $149. Vendor is Relay-Supply in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. Delivery is three days. Unit works excellent on my $3/month T-Mobile SIM card. This unit has ability to monitor quality of connection to the cell tower. At the hanger with external antenna the cell connection is 24/30.

I have been using this relay switch now for two years with no problem. I text the hanger and have switch turn on for 2 hours. Switch reports back via text message that relay is "on" for two hours.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4G-GSM-Hig...m=192083520963&_trksid=p2509164.c100903.m5276

10qase1.png

-
zwm055.png

Last edited:
Back