What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter Cable Routing Appr to Sky Tec Starter

sglynn

Well Known Member
Please could somebody post photos of their starter electrical cable routing with particular interests on how you bent it to attach to the rear of the Sky Tec start on an IO360 Horizontal induction, RV-7A.

I bought P14 from Van's and am looking at the drawing, but not sure how much bending and attaching to engine is needed.

thanks much

I don't have any pics handy (on another computer), but I'll try to describe it...

First, I got the angle adapter for the connection which SkyTec sells, so that I wouldn't be contorting the cable at the end. Then...across the front, to join the bundle from the alternator, thence back above the exhaust and intake pipes (secured with Adel clamps every so often using sump bolts), then just some convenient routing to the starter contactor. Also used welding cable for both starter and alternator heavy-gauge wires, not the stiff tefzel stuff (had two friends w/ -8s who both had failures of the large gauge tefzel wire at the connectors to the alternator, due to vibration). Heat shielded IIRC where in closer proximity to heat sources (exhaust).

See callout for P/N 2405-KIT on this sheet:

http://www.skytecair.com/images/Ins/20101_J.pdf

Starter Cable

Thanks, that right angle contact bracket is the trick. Using that will greatly reduce the bending I was looking at doing. thanks

My main power alternator and feeds lines, 8 Ga. are of the high end audio amp power feed type, they offer better vibration and breakage resistance, very tinny strands of tinned wire. The insulation jacket is not as robust as the Tfzel wire, so my alt charge line is very well supported with adel clamps and inside a fire sleeve.

Back