What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage Question

Squeak

Well Known Member
I have finished my empennage kit and waiting on the wings. I decided to install the tips and mount the elevators onto the HS then notice that I need have trim about 2MM off the HS skin so the elevators can clear the HS between the HS tip and elevator weights. Has anyone had to do this also?
I am having a great time and a first time builder.
Thanks for replies,
Squeak

See drawing 3

I think what you are talking about is detailed on drawing 3. Top left side of drawing shows the HS with an arrow to the detail for what needs to be trimmed on the HS skin. Hope this is close to answering your question. It is hard to spot the first time through. I don't remember a note in the manual about it either.

As Van's would say "Build On" ..... :rolleyes:

Trim

I had to trim some of the skin 601PP on the HS on my RV-7. I am not sure about the other kits. The only place there is any reference of this is on the top left of (DWG-3 on the 7) the "blue prints". It is displayed as the hashed area. Before you trim be sure you get the correct depth on the Rod End bearing. About 7/8 depth was just about right for mine.
I am trying to figure out how to "fit" the fiberglass. The grey tape looks bad and I don't think it last long enough.
Good luck.

Terry

Last edited:
I found the drawing like you guys said on DWG-3 and trimed the skin. I took about 7/8" off 601PP and now have about 1/8" gap between the elevator and HS.

Thanks for the Help,
Squeak

Just make sure your hinges are located fore and aft in the perfect location!!!!!!!!!

Back