What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

38-23 Drilling Canopy Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Should I remove the plastic protective wrap on the canopy along the part that rests on the back part of the canopy along the roll bar assembly (not along the rails--I already removed that)? Or is it Ok to leave the plastic covering in place?

On 38-21, it does state to peel back some of the covering on the front edge of canopy. But nothing stated here.

Just wondering if it impacts the way the canopy sit on the arch portion of the canopy assembly. If one does remove, I imagine that I should recover with tape.

Thanks
Ken

Although the plastic is pretty thin, I removed it to get as tight a fit I could. You’ll soon be countersinking the holes to fit to fuselage.

Last edited:
Page 38-21 states:

"NOTE: The best fit can be obtained by ensuring that only the bare surface of the canopy directly contacts the aircraft structure."

May I also suggest that you consider sealing the forward edge of the rear window where it contacts the Roll Over Structure. On my first flight through rain, there was water ingress in that area. I outlined my approach here. I used siliconized latex caulk (because it's paintable - be careful what you use). It's not visible.

IMG_9381.JPG

Please also consider painting the perimeter of your rear window where it contacts the F-01474 Aft Fuse Top Skin. If you don't, the sealant will be visible and its aesthetic may not be desirable. I outlined my approach here.

Prior to final install...
IMG_8517.JPG

Final install...
IMG_8619.JPG

You might also consider putting a tiny bit of sealant along the skin joints on the exterior too, to prevent water ingress. I did this for the Rear Window and Canopy. Below is shown the Rear Window. I outlined my approach here.

Sealant application...
IMG_8592.JPG

Very clean looking edges after sealant application...
IMG_8598.JPG

Finally, I had to use a pair of additional washers to keep the surface profile of my Rear Window correct (i.e., prevent it from forming a depression) where it meets the F-01432A Roll Bar Brace. Without those extra washers, the Rear Window curvature in that area would 1) droop downwards and 2) not match that of the Canopy. Also, as you can see below, it's clear that this area is a great place for water ingress if not sealed as I outlined above.

IMG_8621.JPG

Last edited:
I saw that on 38-21, then it states to peel back on the same page. Then nothing about the area around the roll bar area. I was just weighing the option of the firm contact versus me scratching up the inside of the canopy after removal of the covering.

Thanks for the reply and the heads up not where to apply sealant.

Response from van's was that it doesn't really matter if you peel it back. Of course I already did it.

And again, thanks to E for the heads up on where to put adhesive and paint.

Back