Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-15-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
If somebody wants to offer me $250k, I would take it!
a good tutorial on open market economics in this thread. The more sellers that offer to sell something with limited buyers, the larger the market value reduction.

Larry
Old 01-16-2020, 12:48 AM

Actually, 250k is pretty fair price. I have more than that after building mine. Advanced, EFII, garmin650, behringer brakes, electric everything except AC. Anyone selling for around 250k well build is being reasonable.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor RV10 View Post
Actually, 250k is pretty fair price. I have more than that after building mine. Advanced, EFII, garmin650, behringer brakes, electric everything except AC. Anyone selling for around 250k well build is being reasonable.
It goes without saying, the worth of anything is whatever someone is willing to pay. Hence, the worth of something to me may be vastly different than the worth of that same thing to someone else.

Now, with the caveat above, I don’t doubt that there are many out there that have $250,000 or more into their RV-10. Or, $150,000 or more in their RV-7, $120,000 into their RV-9, etc. That said, the amount of money that one has into their build may have very little correlation to the worth of that build to a buyer.

All this being said, by point is only to say, the amount of money one has into their build is not likely to set the potential sales price. As a matter of fact, I’d venture to say, most have more, and sometimes far more, into their build than they’ll ever get out of it.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:09 AM

I was considering buying an RV-10 a few years ago before building my -14A. I looked around quite a bit, talked to some owners with aircraft for sale, and talked to trusted advisors who are RV-10 experts. The market seemed to be pretty solidly in the 230-250K range for well-built, low-time aircraft with IFR panels/modern EFIS systems. Few were available and when they did come to market they went fast.

The market today seems to be even hotter - I look on T-A-P and Barnstormers from time to time just to see what's out there. Not much - most RV-10s changing hands appear to be word of mouth type sales or through social media/forums. So it doesn't surprise me where the market seems to be today. Considering the comparable aircraft available in the certified market pricing is reasonable.

IMHO, the only way RV-10 prices are going to come down any time soon is if we see another 2007-2009 financial scenario, and/or if GA pilot numbers dramatically fall off for some reason, but GA seems to be enjoying a nice rebirth. The flight schools around me are busier than they've been in 20 years.

Just one viewpoint.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post

IMHO, the only way RV-10 prices are going to come down any time soon is if we see another 2007-2009 financial scenario, and/or if GA pilot numbers dramatically fall off for some reason, but GA seems to be enjoying a nice rebirth. The flight schools around me are busier than they've been in 20 years.
Yes the flight schools are busy, but here is another data point: The airlines are hiring! I doubt that equates to a "rebirth", as those airline pilots probably aren't going to keep flying GA.

The question is, how many people are taking flying lessons just because they enjoy flying GA?

-Marc
Old 01-16-2020, 08:32 AM

Those interested in selling can msg me and I'll put them in touch with the guy that was interested in mine. He was pretty specific he wants a full glass, 3-blade prop, leather, etc with AC in his next airplane. He even asked about BRS...

Another data point that I didn't mention is a friend sold his '08 second hand RV-10 about 6 months ago for $139K. This was the plane I did my transition training on, very sparse on the options it was straight up plans build, minimal interior, all steam. He did put ADSB out in it though. The engine was a carbed IO-540 with I think 500 hours on it, the airframe had maybe 200 hours on it.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 01-16-2020, 12:00 PM

I decided over Christmas to start hunting for an RV-10. Two were for sale at that time, that I
was very interested in trying to purchase, and both appeared to be really good builds with the equipment I would want. They were advertised at 195K and 200K. Both sold before I could get in the game.

Two airplanes an RV-9 and an RV-6 offered here both sold in a couple of days. They were priced at a fair market value. Others comparable to the two mentioned, but priced considerably higher stay for sale. Price it right and it will sale quickly.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
Yes the flight schools are busy, but here is another data point: The airlines are hiring! I doubt that equates to a "rebirth", as those airline pilots probably aren't going to keep flying GA.

The question is, how many people are taking flying lessons just because they enjoy flying GA?

-Marc
Agree - but many professional pilots also pursue aviation as a hobby. There's one flight school on my home field - husband / wife CFI team - that specializes in teaching private pilots mostly. They are so busy they've bought / leased several additional aircraft and hired more CFIs. The two commercial focused schools on the field are busy as well for the reason you mention. And let's not talk about hangar availability....
Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 PM

If you have a loaded RV10, you will likely get your money back. BTW, mine is not available until I am dead.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:28 PM

Default Prices on VRef

Here through COPA in Canada VRef gives the below numbers:

YR MODEL $RETAIL $ CHANGE $RANGE+/- $WHOLESALE AFTT $/HR
2008 RV-10 155,000 20.2k 125.1k 940 11

So lower time and a good avionics package would easily clear $200K US

Example a 40K modern avionics on a 200 TT aircraft is $203,140 US

Plus or minus $20.2 K for history, build quality, Paperwork, Condition etc etc...
Dues Paid for 2020 - Happy New Year