What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Did I just brick my EDM 830?

blaplante

Well Known Member
I have a JPI EDM 830. Its been having a message DATALOG ERR. I tried a factory reset and also a data dump and neither helped. I found the software is way out of date - it was on 3.35. So I downloaded the 3.52.002 update package.

Notably - the webpage instructions mention a file named INFO-EDM830.hw that should be loaded to the USB drive, but then the .pdf in the update package doesn't. Given I have no idea where to find that file, I only put the unzipped .pkg file on the USB (8 GB) drive.

I then followed the instructions and the unit appeared to update fine without any errors, until the end where is says there is a data log error, fix? I responded YES.

About 1 second later the screen went black. After over 4 minutes of nothing appearing, I powered it down.

Since then, I have tried re-running the update, re-running the data log 'fix', etc. Every time I respond YES to the 'fix?' the unit seems to crash. If I respond no, then it seems to come online, I get engine instruments, cht/egt, tach, MP ... But the screen is crunched left (I have a landscape orientation), and pressing both buttons does NOT bring up the setup menu.

Any suggestions to get me out of this? Or have I semi-bricked it and need to send it in?

I've sent an email to JPI, but I'm guessing the answer will be 'send it in'. :-(

Based on your description, I'd surmise the "DATALOG ERR" correlates to a hard memory fault, i.e. a physical failure of the random access memory bank. Likely a damaged chip. I'm not very familiar with the internal architecture of the EDM 830 but if the video memory is shared with the system memory, that could also explain why your display is scrunched and why the setup menu does not appear.

I think this is a send it in situation ...

Back