Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-01-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW794 View Post
Would it be difficult to convert a RV6 to a 6A? The fuselage is under construction with the front legs and tail-wheel attached. Nothing has been done on the empennage and no engine is attached.

If this is possible, what would be the cost of parts for such a change?
Blasphemy!
Just kidding. I too suggest you just grab a couple hours of instruction and become a tailwheel pilot.
Privileged to explore the world in the venerable Lockheed C-130 and the regions around NC in a work-in-progress RV-4, kit #2614, while paying the bills aboard an Airbus A-330.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkersey View Post

All that said. I love the taildraggers. I think they look extra cool. There is some swagger to your story when you operate one. I would enjoy the extra challenge of operating one. If someday I ever lose my compulsion to do the most fiscally responsible thing associated with everything I do. Maybe I'll treat myself to a beautiful taildragger.
Your participation in this hobby betrays your claim of fiscal responsibility in everything that you do, but I bet most of us on here understand. That was for if the wife gets on here and reads your posts, right? 😁
Privileged to explore the world in the venerable Lockheed C-130 and the regions around NC in a work-in-progress RV-4, kit #2614, while paying the bills aboard an Airbus A-330.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:37 AM

I have several thousand hours in tail wheel aircraft but I ended up buying a trike gear RV because of the fit and finish, glass panel and low time injected engine and CS prop. It flies beautifully and was obviously built very straight, I really like it a lot. My wife has never flown a trike before, all her time has been in 3 different tailwheel aircraft. It has been quite a while since she has flown but the other day we went out and did some circuits and she did 2 landings, both done quite nicely before she said...you told me a trike was easy but I had no idea just how easy, lol. We both just wanted to be sure she could operate it if something happened to me while flying.
I enjoy flying tailwheel aircraft but Iíve always associated them with boondocks flying and rough fields.
Our RV is a fun plane to fly be it gentlemen aerobatics or cross country. I have no intention of operating it in rough fields. Gravel or grass strips are fine but 95% of the time itís a paved strip. I owned several Mooneyís over the years and anywhere Iíd fly the Mooney the RV is fine. Just donít do those goofy chop and drop landings you often see at airports and youíll never have a problem.