What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 8 Glide Ratio on Garmin Pilot

donaziza

Well Known Member
Hey guys and Gals, Garmin Pilot just updated their app on androids where they now show the "glide range ring". (Done earlier on the iPads) I didn't build my RV 8,----can y'all tell me what the glide ratio on an RV 8 might be? Of course, they would all be slightly different, BUT---if one has an engine failure, something in the box is better than nothing.

PS, I called Vans first of course, he said he didn't know--ask on here on VAF.

Last edited:
I just ran a series of glide tests. My best glide was about 11:1 @ 90 KIAS. 1401 lbs.

same

Ive just completed my flight test period and my glide tests showed the same, 11:1 at 85 mph. 1400 pounds.

I have a fixed pitch prop and that makes a huge difference. I used to fly an 8 with a three blade composite, constant speed prop and that glide ratio in fine pitch was in the order of 7:1.

S

I’m using 8.5 to 1 @ 104kts on o360 constant speed Hartzell blended airfoil, but I got this figure off another thread, and haven’t ever tested it. I’ve seen 11.1 to 1 with engine idling , but there is a big difference when it stops running.

Last edited:
11:1

Ok, so math in public is not my strong suit. But for ease of math for me, thats just under 2nm for every 1k' loss?

Back