What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

question and a suggestion drilling elevator horns

Adam W

Well Known Member
Everyone has been so helpful so far i thought Id post a decent suggestion i found worked well for drilling elevator horns. probably not groundbreaking but if i can be of any help to anyone else on the forum............
The elevator portion were it tells you to fabricate a drill bushing so you can drill through the centre bearing damage free and into the elevator horn - Well after two stores not having drill bushings or tubing that would work i looked through some loose hardware and stumbled upon some extra axles from inline roller skates. these worked perfectly as a drill bushing. very pleased with the result. being Canadian and having a hockey skate for both land and ice these axles are plentiful however if you don't have inline skates this is super cheap hardware from the local sporting goods store.

question - glad to say ive finished the empenage kit. I'm wondering if i should bolt up the rod end bearings nuts washers and all between the elevators and HS and store it assembled? or is this a waste of effort because it needs to come apart again in the future? does it need to come apart again?

Storage

I've seen them stored both ways but would advise to leave the nut untouched as you will likely remove them when you install the HS and VS.

I have had my emp installed and removed many times, sometimes I put my airplane together just to look at it :) I bought new hardware for the final assembly, fairly cheap insurance.

Back