What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Cradle Plans

For the HS, you should be able to re-use the cradles that are made as part of the HS construction process in section 8.

Getting up on gear

How tall does the support structure under the fuselage need to be to allow drilling the gear legs and mounting the wheels? I'm looking at taking the project off the gurney and standing her on gear in the next couple months and realize I'll need to lift it quite a ways above the height it's resting at now.

How tall does the support structure under the fuselage need to be to allow drilling the gear legs and mounting the wheels? I'm looking at taking the project off the gurney and standing her on gear in the next couple months and realize I'll need to lift it quite a ways above the height it's resting at now.

An engine hoist around the engine mount works. I wouldn't try it with the engine mounted. Alternately, if you have something strong overhead, a come-along and a couple of lifting straps around the engine mount could do it. Obviously, you don't want to lift from the middle of a tube, and you probably want to have the tail resting on a sawhorse.

That said, sitting on the gear, engine mounted, no wings, the bottom of the spar on my airplane is at 27.5" off the ground. I think you'd want another foot of height, maybe just less than that, to mount the gear.

Back