What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

leaky Tank - Help please

Adam W

Well Known Member
After doing my absolute best to assemble a leak free tank I am disappointed to say that I have a leak. After the balloon deflated slowly over several hours three different times (yes i tried three times thinking it may somehow miraculously fix itself) I accepted the fact
After painting the tank with soapy water and pressurising, it was clear my leak was at a rivet in a middle bay. I'm hoping for suggestions for a painless fix. The thought of making a large access hole in my tank..........
I recall reading some were that a fix for this would be to thin out some sealant with MEK then create a vacuum in the tank allowing it draw in the thinned out sealant into the leaky rivet hopefully sealing the hole.

looking for an answer and as always thanks for the excellent replies I always receive here

Adam, the remedy that you mention is one that has worked for several people in the past.

BUT...

With an unpainted, uninstalled tank, I'd cut an access port in the aft baffle and make a permanent fix you can count on. It would be much more likely to last 20+ years (IMO) than the easier alternative. IMO (again!) the last thing you want is to have the leak recur a year or two after you have the airplane painted.

Last edited:
I would agree. As painful as it might be it is better to do the work now.
I have QB tanks and have not pressure tested them yet but have already resolved in my mind that should I find a leak I will be cutting access holes if necessary.

Just curious

Adam,
Just curious if used regular dimple dies or tank dies? I am about to start my 9a tanks and am trying to gather as much info as possible.

No question about it. Cut the access hole and do it right the first time. Ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me, then ask again and again and again and. . . well, lets just say I have many stories I could tell on how NOT to fix a tank leak, and one really good story on how to do it right.

fixed

cut the hole made the repair and the patch holding pressure now
thanks to all

why dont they use a bladder system it would be so much easier!

cut the hole made the repair and the patch holding pressure now
thanks to all

why dont they use a bladder system it would be so much easier!

Ugh!

Heavy. Unusable fuel. Trapped water. Less fuel. Failure prone. MONEY! Want more?

Back