What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing help

Adam W

Well Known Member
me again

I have started on wing kit, completed spar plate nuts and looking ahead at rib prep. it looks as though i need to know now and prepare for what wiring, sensors, antenas, servos etc will be in the wing. im assuming this is all to be done starting with holes in the wing ribs for conduits etc.
the instructions reference lighting wiring and Pito plumbing only.

ive seen in builders logs that they have prepared for Heated AOA Pitot masts, OAT sensor, AP servo (i think) and other equipment at wingtips etc.

i intend on the likes of a G3X Garmin EFIS, GTN650 Navigator, Autopilot, AVEO wingtips (Damien and others have convinced me their troubles are behind them) i have the standard fuel senders as i was told they can work with any set up and Vans stopped selling their capacitive version

im not even sure whats needed to be installed or prepped for at this stage to support the above. the zip tips im gathering is one conduit from root to tip.
im not sure whats needed in the wing to support the aircraft systems. do i need to buy a servo at this time and it will have instructions? same with AOA pito mast?

And what is the installation method for wiring that goes to other locations? same conduit and make a hole in the conduit to pull out wiring at that location, or seperate conduit from wing root ? any help would be appreciated. thank you in advance

First off, even if you do nothing you will be fine. There is a lot of hype over wing conduit but even in a fully completed wing it is completely accessible through access panels and wing tip. Just slightly more difficult. You can even install an autopilot servo and mounting bracket through a single access panel. I've done it.

There is a hole you can enlarge at the front of each rib for a grommet, do that per the plans.

A good time to mount and wire things in the wings is after the top skins are riveted on and before the bottom skins are riveted on, while the wing is standing vertical in your wing jig. Aileron bell cranks, autopilot servo pitot controllers.

I installed the conduit and ran it from the inside to outside rib. It may not be required but it is helpful. I ran all of the intermediate stop wires through the snap bushings. These wires can be added layer as needed by reaching through the access panels.

I would say a good thing to do would be to figure out where you are going to mount the pitot heater control box if you are going to use the thermostically controlled module.

I plan to put the oat sensors in one of the access panel covers. That way if I make a change later I don't have a hole in my skins. I can always make another cover.

The autopilot roll servo assembly is another item that might be a good idea to work on before you add the skins. That way you have better access. I did mine with the skins on so it can be done later if needed.

Pathways

Personally, I would install the conduit inboard to outboard. Use a soldering iron to drill holes for wire exits.
The only gotcha I encountered was routing the pitot & AOA plumbing across the bellcrank. Study other builder's blogs before deciding on plumbing plathways.
I committed to Dynon so I used their heater dimensions to install nutplates for a future install.

the only thing I did was run conduit through the wing for ease of wire runs later on. I have riveted on all my skins and the wings are totally done. I realize it would have been easier to install servos and such with the skins off, but I wasn't ready to make those decisions. So, I finished my wings and I am saving for my fuselage purchase.

Long story short, don't let those decisions impede your work.

PDF diagram for conduit hole sizes and locations in ribs

This drawing wasn't included with my plans. I don't know if the plans include it now or not.

thank you

thank you everyone. still a little unsure of what equipment i need in wings but building on as it seems it can be dealt with later. ill make an extra conduit chase in the ribs

In my wingtips I have the navigation lights, strobes and the taxi lights. I also route the wiring for the landing lights since they are in the last bay. I'm mounting a controller for my nav and taxi lights on the last rib. All of this creates a pretty good bundle of wires running to the wingtip.

Back