What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV3 Bottom Skins

RV3Kev

Finally started on the bottom skins today. I found the problem with the inboard skins being too short. I was kind of expecting this based on reading a number of build sites.

Sketch 9 shows the overall length of the skin to be 48”. When I add up all the other dimensions on this drawing, the over length should be 48 1/8 ”. When I do the same calculation based on the rib stations, I get 48 1/8”.
48884360928_5bc504a52e_c_d.jpg

Finally when putting the skin up against the skeleton, it looks to be 1/8” too short.

The outer skins is correct at 48” but is supplied at 49”. I assume this is to allow an overlap joint as done on the QB wings?

Any one got a rivet pattern for the overlap joint? Ie two rows of rivets at what pitch

I may decide to buy some new material and make a new inboard skin. It may be possible to get the 1/4 edge distance but there almost no margin for errors.

Last edited:
On mine, the inboard rib flange was wider than it had to be. I shifted the skin outboard close to 1/8 ? and trimmed the flange to match the skin. The rivet spacing I used on the overlap joint was 1? between rivet rows and 1 1/4? along the cord.

Dear Dave

Thanks for the information. Are the rivets offset between the two rows.?

On my wing, the innermost flange is wider, and it stick out a little past the spar flange, so it could be trimmed if required.

Back